Grumman Freighter canoe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next modification to trailer install rear Mud Flaps.
Next modification for canoe a drain plug and relocate the battery box to the very front of canoe and install a permanent mounting base for it and install LED strips and switch toggle panel and install a Bilge Pump.

Attachments

• IMG_0504.jpeg
    IMG_0504.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1
Got my Mud flaps install yesterday. Bought a heavy duty 24 in Big Truck Mud Flap thick. Cut it down to size to fit the boat trailer. Worked out great !

Attachments

• IMG_0507.jpeg
    IMG_0507.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 1
I knew a couple of guys (on-line) who used freighters; Both were Canadians. One was a moose hunter and used one with a ?10hp? to go back to his hunting area and, at least once, to transport himself, his hunting partner and a a quartered moose back out. I tried to find the site and thread, but it seems to have disappeared.

The other was a RCMP Constable, and he'd posted a few shots of local population hunters, one of which included a freighter.

I think, when Grumman sold their business to Marathon, the product changed. I believe they made shorter square sterns, and of thinner aluminum.

Here's one site I found, but it may be too general for you.

https://www.canoeing.com/canoes/specialty/squarestern.htm
From what I'd seen and read, the Freighter was an industrial-strength craft, made to carry more than a thousand pounds of freight, as well as the passengers. I don't know what rating for horsepower they set.

Best wishes.
The Grumman 19ft was rated at a mere 5HP.
We run 9.9 to 15 HP and a lift on the 19 ft in rivers here. Yes I believed it was 1996 when Grumman sold to Marathon and for about 4 years they went from .050 to .040 aluminum to save production cost. Very Unhappy customer response made them switch back to .050 aluminum. Today the 19’ has been discontinued by Grumman for the second time.

How much "rocker" has your freighter got please? Currently using a Sport Boat and love it, however, I'd love some leg room on week long trips down a fairly swift river with fast riffles when fully loaded with gear and provisions.
Thanks

Anyone have fishing experience out of a 19 ft Grumman Freighter canoe? I have a 17 ft double end Grumman and would like to know how much more stable the 19 ft square back one is? I would like to use it in the river and in big lakes, also in an electric only lake near where I live. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Todd
I have used my 19’ on the Yukon River. I have a manual lift to run in the shallows and a 15 HP Johnson to get back up stream. Very desired canoe for Alaska hunting. Grumman stopped making the 19’ in 2021.

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpeg
    IMG_0533.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 1
I knew a couple of guys (on-line) who used freighters; Both were Canadians. One was a moose hunter and used one with a ?10hp? to go back to his hunting area and, at least once, to transport himself, his hunting partner and a a quartered moose back out. I tried to find the site and thread, but it seems to have disappeared.

The other was a RCMP Constable, and he'd posted a few shots of local population hunters, one of which included a freighter.

I think, when Grumman sold their business to Marathon, the product changed. I believe they made shorter square sterns, and of thinner aluminum.

Here's one site I found, but it may be too general for you.

https://www.canoeing.com/canoes/specialty/squarestern.htm
From what I'd seen and read, the Freighter was an industrial-strength craft, made to carry more than a thousand pounds of freight, as well as the passengers. I don't know what rating for horsepower they set.

Best wishes.
.050” hull they set a conservative 5 Hp rating .
Without a lift the 8HP Yamaha 2 Stoke at only 58lbs is ideal on the 19’.

How much "rocker" has your freighter got please? Currently using a Sport Boat and love it, however, I'd love some leg room on week long trips down a fairly swift river with fast riffles when fully loaded with gear and provisions.
Thanks
My 19’ Grumman handles a moose and 2 hunters gear and camp. With the Lift and 15HP Johnson she does very well .

My 19’ Grumman handles a moose and 2 hunters gear and camp. With the Lift and 15HP Johnson she does very well .
I've got one river I do a 5 day float trip down with 800lbs and 2 people in the Sport Boat and I need leg room, hence the basis for my questions. Most of the time this trip is paddled due to the rivers flow, however, like all rivers, there's the bends.... how easy is the 19' turned in a river? The Sport Boat turns easy due to the "rocker" its got. How much rocker, if any has a Grumman flat back got?

Yes a man made the Rock Hopper for me 25 years ago in Minnesota. I noticed they were sold at Bass Pro Shop I bought mine direct from Rock Hopper. Currently I believe the man that made has past away. On my 2004 9.9HP since new and still have the original prop.
I had one on my 25HP Merc on 1648. When it was relegated to flat water, had no problem selling it. Someone from Canada jumped on it, even with the expensive shipping and exchange rate. In the years I ran it, never had a "hard" hit to truly test it, but survived many a light one. I too, purchased from the guy directly. Learned the same when I deid some quick research, before selling. There is a similar protector, but only mouts to skeg, and doesn't provide the angle protection of the lower.

The Grumman 19ft was rated at a mere 5HP.
We run 9.9 to 15 HP and a lift on the 19 ft in rivers here. Yes I believed it was 1996 when Grumman sold to Marathon and for about 4 years they went from .050 to .040 aluminum to save production cost. Very Unhappy customer response made them switch back to .050 aluminum. Today the 19’ has been discontinued by Grumman for the second time.
Do you know if Grumman is still made in Marathon NY? I haven't been by the mfg place in a long time. It did not look active when I last did. DMI/Discovery/Misty Harbor which use to be just north of them, has long been gone. Moved most mfg to IN. I believe it was started from people who left Grumman/Marathon.

I've got one river I do a 5 day float trip down with 800lbs and 2 people in the Sport Boat and I need leg room, hence the basis for my questions. Most of the time this trip is paddled due to the rivers flow, however, like all rivers, there's the bends.... how easy is the 19' turned in a river? The Sport Boat turns easy due to the "rocker" its got. How much rocker, if any has a Grumman flat back got?
The 19’ is very popular here in Alaska for those who wish to moose hunt on the swift rivers. Most use a Motor lift as a Jack *** lift most common. The motors range from 8Hp to 15Hp with some taking 2 motors for trips a smaller motor like 4HP to 6Hp for small less swift streams then switching to a 15Hp for the swift rivers to get back up on lifts. I love my 19’ canoe Grumman in my Alaska hunting.

Any chance you could post some photos and dimensions of the lift on your canoe? Also is your Johnson 15hp a 15" shaft?
Yes it’s a short shaft
And I have 4 props for it .
8/9/10/11 pitch
1985 Seahorse 15 HP love this motor especially going back up stream with a moose and load.

Attachments

• IMG_0542.jpeg
    IMG_0542.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0540.jpeg
    IMG_0540.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0536.png
    IMG_0536.png