help identifying this boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craveman85

Reaction score
Ive been driving by this boat for 2 years now and it just sits lonely in a field. Finally i decided to talk to the guy about it and asked him if its for sale. Found out he cant use it anymore due to MS and he gave me a good price on it. It comes with a decent trailer, a fish finder, oars, life jackets, 3 seats, a johnson seahorse 6hp, 2 gas tanks and some other goodies for 600 and i have to mow the field with his tractor when i take the boat out. hes got to dig up the paperwork for the boat and trailer for me still so ill be picking it up either friday or sunday. theres no id plate since someone replaced the transom wood. what retard decided to put the id plates on the transom wood anyways? so until he digs up the registration im not sure what year make or model the boat is. ive never seen one quite like it. its a hard chined flat bottom not a semi v. but its pointed like a v. anyone have any ideas as to what it is?

It's got current 2014 registration so just call the Fish and Game with the hull ID, NY226CF and ask them. They won't give out personal info, but the make of the boat isn't personal and you "want to be sure it's not stolen".

No clue in who made it but I can identify the type. It's not a V or John type boat, it's a type of Aluminum Skiff. Wood skiffs of that type are pretty common.

If it does not have the 12 digit Coast Guard # stamped somewhere on the hull, then it's pre-1972.

Aren't skiffs usually found in Costa waters? That would explain why I've never seen any up here in the Adirondacks

Any pros or cons to fishing from a skiff? It will see 90% of its time trolling in 30-180 feet of water.

That should make a fine fishing boat. Perfect for what you want to do.

I do not own one but I suspect a skiff like that is a work boat. As you load her the more stable she becomes. I would not try to overload her on purpose but due to the flared sides the lower the boat sits the more stable she is. The bow is almost Dory like.

The only problem I see is it may be just a little more difficult to push off from the bank. I would not recommend the running push off and hop on that you can do with a Jon boat.

I would love to have it just like it is. They seem to be popular in Louisiana as a Crawfish skiff.

PS she should be real stable but like any boat, you need to get to know her and how she behaves.

I don't plan on modifying anything except for downrigger mounts. I don't have any use for casting decks or live wells

Skiffs row nice...when all else fails.
Pointy bow cuts through the water,makes it easier to control.

Hopefully I'll never HAVE to row it. I was contemplating a small Boston whaler type console if I find a small remote motor.

picked up the boat today. From the registration it's a 68 Grumman 14' I can't find a model for it online though. Maybe it was originally something else and was registered as a Grumman. But maybe it is because I cannot find any old Grumman models

Had it out yesterday just long enough to test for leaks. The floor feels petty flimsy in it but then again it doesn't really have much in the lines of structural support. Didn't leak bad at all. A little water seeping in a couple spots but it would probably add up to a cup over a half day at most. Better than my old 16' that took on about 3 gallons an hour.

I still can't figure out a model for it. Therefore no capacity or hp ratings. Any help would be appreciated.

I would say that is definitely a Grumman boat, it looks almost identical to mine.
My boat is a '72 Grumman that my father had bought new in '73. The hull plate on mine says it's Model G-13N with a capacity of 570 lbs for persons and gear. 6 hp motor is the listed max.

It's an awesome boat. My dad and I used it alot for about 20 years until his health deteriorated. It sat in my backyard for 10 or 12 years after that. I got it back in the water a few years ago and have been using it every year since. In fact, I fished in it just 2 days ago. It's a great boat. Very stable in the water.

I think the original Grumman boat division was based out of Marathon, NY. I'm not exactly sure about the story line but it was something like Grumman sold the boat division, the buyer eventually went bankrupt, the remains were picked up and merged with some other company and they became Marathon boats.

I think they made boats like ours from the late '60's to the mid '70's. My uncle had one that was a couple of years older but it was almost identical to my Dad's. My cousin still has it and uses it every summer.

If I can answer any questions or look anything up for you let me know. I'm glad to see someone with a boat like mine.