Help: Lower Unit Leak?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airdawg11

Reaction score
I just bought a boat and I noticed a little oil on the floor. Looks like lower unit oil from around the prop. It is an older Mercury 9.8 hp Model 110. Anybody have any experience with this, and what to do. Im sure there is a seal around the prop, but I have no idea how to get to it or change it. I really dont want to spend 150 or so to fix it at a mechanic, when its probably only worth 300-400. Any help is appreciated!
Also what would the oil/gas ratio to mix in a little engine like this. I used to have a 60 hp merc and it was 50:1 I believe.

What does the oil look like and smell like? Could just be prop exhaust residue which is normal coming out of the prop after it sits. And I believe mercs are 50:1

The oil looks fine. Its not milky looking, so no water in it, didnt have much of a smell to it, faint oil smell. It is the first time starting up since last year, per the guy I bought it from. So this is usual for a little oil to come out of the exhaust after sitting?

Yeah it is completely normal. It is not oil gear, it is unburnt fuel and exhaust. In my first post I should have clarified that I meant what did the oily stuff that was leaking out smell and look like. Gear oil smells totally different than unburnt fuel residue so they are easy to tell apart from one another. If you have no water in your lower unit then you are A ok. As long as you don't have excessive exhaust leakage. But if you ran it in a barrel or on muffs then you will notice more leakage. This is due to the motor running at lower idle and not burning the fuel as well (because you don't want to rev your engine while on muffs or in a barrel really) and the motor not having a large body of water to disperse the exhaust.

The motor could possibly be running a little rich but once you run it on the lake you can see what happens and how it runs

So took the boat out for the first time today and their is milky looking oil coming from around the prop. The motor ran fine and didnt seem to have any issues. So hopefully the lower unit is not damaged and I can figure out how to fix the leak and change the lower unit oil. Anybody have any experience on how to fix it? I imagine there is a seal behind the prop, just dont know if it can be changed without special tools.

Latest posts