Herring , Tog and Squid

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
Wagamons Spillway 4-13-2009 (Herring)
I got there and found 3 guys hard at it but only 1 guy had 2 Herring . I walked up and within a few minutes had 3 in my bag . I tell the guy next to me where the fish are and that his Sabiki was too big . He watch me get 2 more and then went to re-rig in the parking lot .. I slid in and finished off my limit . I stayed and C&R'ed a few .. The guy with 2 finally gets #10 and exits when Ron and a youngster show up . I was putting my Herring in the truck and wated to try a Rig I tied up so I grabbed another rod and rigged up .
In 5 casts I had 2 bite but no hookup and then I get snagged and lose half the rig . Guess I'm gonna have to tie a few more and give them another shot ;)
Hmmm 10 Herring
CHUM
100_4019.jpg

And Flatfish Food :):)
100_4020.jpg

Wagamons Pond 4-19-2009
Got there at 5pm and left at 6pm with 9 Herring . Winds whipping at around 20 to 30 MPH and at about 5:30pm the temps dropped and it got down right chilly .. I was shivering so bad I cant figure out why I didnt get # 10
My final attempt at # 10 was to try to get out of the wind so I crawled down on the rocks on the side of the spillway but got no more .. BUT I found a nice Jade pendant and a Kershaw Knife by Ken Onion .. Retails for 85 bucks . It was pretty dirty and the edge was bad but it cleaned up right nice
I love it

The Wall 4-25-2009
Jimmy stopped down and then Fran , Ray and Bruce met us here at about 6am . Hit Bills for Greenies .
Bumped into Jetty4u (Steve) and Abermarle30 (Scot) heading out to the wrecks . Great to see ya both ;) I snapped a quick pic as they finalized things .
100_4061.jpg

Just a shot of the Broadkill .. Note the boat in the center .. Used to be the BEST Weakfish (TIDERUNNERS) Spot I ever seen .. I still miss those days :(
100_4059.jpg

Ray battening down the hatches ;)
100_4062.jpg

We geared up and headed straight for the Wall .
Roosevelt Inlet ..
100_4063.jpg

100_4064.jpg

The water was exceptionally calm for RI ..
100_4065.jpg

Made a few attemps at "Toggling" to the wall but the tide was ripping and the wreck anchor wouldnt hold by itself with the toggle in place . We decided to cut the toggle free and just use the wreck anchor . The wreck anchor help great but the fishing was off t a very slow start .
Fran picks up the first boxer ( The 1st First of the day ) the I follow right behind . The Fran and I go at it fish for fish and ALL Boxers ;) ( The 2nd First of the Day )
I finally fill my 3 and Frans right behind me :) (3rd First of the day )
So now I kick back and give Jimmy my rod and tell him where to toss but he wouldnt have it so I went back and caught a few more and Jimmy finally takes my advice but to no avail as the tide had stopped and with it the bite .
When the tide turned Bruce get his 1st (Also a First .. 1st fish on Frans Boat ... Ever )
The last first was fran got a Limit of Tog :)
Lots of firsts today :)
So now its Jimmy turn and he gets 2 in succession and the Ray follows and bags 2 himself .. We all end up catching some nice eaters and ended the day with a 5 man limit .. Had No Tb's at all :)
Back at the ramp at noon ..
Beautiful day ..\
TheLight House ..
100_4066.jpg

I have no Idea what these guys were doing but I did hear some Electric saws over the Foghorn every now and again .
100_4067.jpg

We saw Bucktail Bob out there again .. He had another great day as well . At the ramp at noon they also called it a day .. BB had Matey with him and it was good to see both again ..
There was a boat in the slip on our right abd BB and Matey on the left .. Well I hear the woman saying some bad juju type stuff about Matey .. Something about him not helping them ?? Anyways we had showed them our fish and they stated they fished from 6am to now with only 1 fish . Big boat with I think 6 plus 1 child . Anyhow the elderly woman walks beside us and talks of last year that were great for them so they brought the grandson today in hopes they could get him on fish .. It didnt happen for them and she asked if the youngen could see the fish so I say heck yeah and he climbs aboard and peeks into the cooler :) So I grab 2 of my fish and put them into a bag and offer them to the woman .. SHe declined at first but I strongly pushed and stated 1 fish isnt enough for 1 dinner so atleast with these you'll have some dinner ;)
We head back to my place to clean the fish ..
The Crew
100_4069.jpg

The fish (-2)
100_4068.jpg

Heres something interesting ..
100_4071.jpg

Take a good close look into its maw and tell me what you see ? ;)

IRI 4-25 / 4-26-2009 ( Squidly )
Jimmy and I hit IRI at around 11:30pm . The water was stained and about an hour into out going tide .
I walked up and was about to cast when I saw this guy walking up the beach next to me ..
100_4072.jpg

100_4077.jpg

I moved him down the shore away from us but he was right back harassing Jimmy :) . I moved him about 3 times and then just let him sit .. keeping an eye out as to not smash him .
I had a bite in the first 15 minutes or so but other than that it was pretty quiet and we were losing swimbait after swimbait :angry:
I had a few Squid swim up but they quickly darted off but 1 remained and came very close .. I tried to snag it with my swimbait and just got inked .. a few minutes later I grab a squid and tossed it on the shore .
100_4079.jpg

About 10 minutes later i see a Blowfish swim up next to e and I grab him also and toss him on the shore ..
100_4080.jpg

100_4081.jpg

100_4083.jpg

100_4085.jpg

We had the baitfish but NO fish ? Anyhow around 2am we were done losing lures so I suggested we take a peek and see if the Squid were feeding in the honey hole . Didnt see any but right before we were gonna call it we see a nice pod of Squid :) .. A walk back to the car to get rods and trebles and we set in search of .. We stayed on the and ended up with about 40 ..
100_4088.jpg

100_4086.jpg

Some will be bait and some consumed :)
when the tide was almost dead low the Squid just vanished .. there all that time and visable and in 5 seconds they were history .

Headed out on the Right Hook at 5:30am (1 hour) . Me,Steve , Jimmy , Phil Snow and Jager 1 will be doing the Togging thing ;)
Will Post upon return .

Toggin on the Right Hook 4/26
We hit the Wall again and picked off some ice fish .
On our way to the ramp we came up on what looked like a floating Horseshoe Crab but when we got along side of it it bolted for the bottom and showed its true MASS .. It was a HOG ! I'd say twice the size of the one Chris caught at AI (100# class) .

Ok here's some pics ;) (My camera but I didnt take these)
I released 5 keeper Females and 1 TB female before landing this Nice Male .
100_4090.jpg

100_4094.jpg

100_4096.jpg

100_4097.jpg

100_4098.jpg

The BOX >>
100_4099.jpg

Here the only picture I took .. Look at all the Trucks ..
100_4100.jpg

On the Wall .. For 2 days we got into a nice bite at the wall at a certain point of the tide and all fish were keepers .. This day we left the wall at that specific time so who's to say if they would have bit or not .. I truly believe they would have but as it turned out the X spot produced well enough .. Heck I was still catching when everyone was packing it in .. Even landed 2 more ;)

Oh and no one mentioned the Flirting Female Tog .. I must have caught her 4 times and Steve caught her once .. I finally broke down and planted a nice wet one right on the Maw :)

Great trip ..

Nice report Tom, you may want to consider re-writing this one for a more "national" audience (Actually international here on TinBoats). While I know what you are talking about, most of our members have never been to or fished Delaware

Captain Ahab said:
Nice report Tom, you may want to consider re-writing this one for a more "national" audience (Actually international here on TinBoats). While I know what you are talking about, most of our members have never been to or fished Delaware
I dont quite follow you ?
If anyone has any question I will be more than happy to answer them as best I can .. I'll even meet up for some hands on stuff too ;)

Got ?? Let em rip :)

Yea I got a question whens the best time of year to fish in the IRI, I gotta get up there and give it a shot.

Man ,ur catching everything.
I've been up to my waist in herring before but never caught one on a rod.We have kiacks(gaspereau)they take a fly and shad,you know what they take,don't know what a herring would take.

Cool pictures,nice little turtle and blow fish.
I have know idea what's in thats togs mouth but I'm going to try to catch one here this year.
Nice report.

slim357 said:
Yea I got a question whens the best time of year to fish in the IRI, I gotta get up there and give it a shot.
It depends on what you want to catch . Give me a species or a few species and I'll give you the time to be there ;)
I'd be glad to show you around ;)

Did you tell this thing to smile before you took the pic??? :LOL2:

100_4085.jpg

Andy said:
What was in the Togs throat? I played with contrast and brightness and could tell something was there, but couldn't make it out.

I was referring to the crushers . They have pads of teeth just like the ones you see in the front of the jaw .. Look close (I know its hard to see) and you can see the white spots of the crushers .
This should tell you a lot about how they eat . Many guys cant catch them or have a problem hooking up . Some will say you have to set the hook before they bite or your bait is gone .. They better think again ;)

Zum said:
don't know what a herring would take.
We use Sabiki Rigs like this ..
100_0533.jpg

But small 1" Twisters on very light leadheads will also do the trick ;) (Clear Chartreuse)

Latest posts