High wind advisory tonight (KY, IN, MO, IL)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just clocked 42mph winds here and the news said it would get rougher.My mother's house next door has lost a lot of shingles and one of the attic vents has been blown out.Sad thing is,the house was just remodeled last year,this year it's getting a new roof.I'm hoping both my house trailers will make it through.

We had recorded winds of 65 mph here this afternoon. This 20 mph stuff that we have right now is like a light summer breeze compared to what it has been all day.

I got off lucky compared to the rest of my neighborhood. Several of them are missing most of the shingles on their roofs. I'm already on the to-do list for the roofer from hail damage last summer so at least I don't have to go to the end of the line.

My neighbor said that the shingles on the west side of my house were standing right straight up and he was expecting all of them to go flying at any time. :shock:

Luckilly, all I have is a piece of twisted up fascia and lost one tab right next to it.

100_0010.jpg

100_0011.jpg

100_0012.jpg

My trash can and grill cover were on the complete opposite side of the house from where they started out, tucked up next to my kitchen window. I'm still trying to figure out how they managed that. :?

Yep, saw lots of shingles standing straight-up this afternoon, unfortunately mine decided to let go. :roll: . Glad you only have the twisted facsia on your roof. That wind was a bear today and it's still blowing some, but not like today.

I just posted the following over at the Freezing Ice storm topic, but thought I'd post it here also to keep it with the wind advisory topic, lol:
The wind here has subsided some and I was outside a little while ago picking up shingles. I picked up 9 of mine that I could find (hopefully that's all, and also found some of my neighbor's. The wind pulled back some of the felt paper this tis time so I have what loks to be a 2' square are of bare plywood exposed. Called the roofers and hopefully he can get to it tomorrow. Looks like rain right now and I'm hoping like hell that it doesn't. The wind was blowing so hard that I could barely get the front storm door open, so we used the back door. I've had my fill of bad weather. Looks like we'll be in school tomorrow, so I have to get myself mentally prepared for that, lol. I'll post a pic shortly of my roof.

Here's a distant shot. My yard slopes so I have to stand out a ways to get a shot:
normal_Roof_2-11-09.JPG

Here's one where I tried to zoom in but the wind was gusting at my back moving me around, so it's a little grainy:
normal_Roof_2-11-09b.JPG

Yikes.

Hopefully you can get that fixed up before it rains. I think the rain is done here until Saturday but I may be mistaken.

I'm glad that the work I did staking what was left of a couple of my trees last night payed off. I would have bet money that the high gusts finished breaking them down. I wish I had thought of doing it before the ice storm.

Rain/snow mix forecast for Saturday, and maybe some rain tonight. I'm praying like crazy that it doesn't. I got to thinking and the spot that got damaged today is the same area that I had problems with last big storm before the ice. I'm thinking it hasn't been warm enough for them to "set" and ice may have gotten up under there. My roof is a 12/12 pitch so there ain't no way I'm getting up there. I don't bounce anymore when I hit the ground. :shock:

Looking at the pics I need to have the wood siding re-sealed or stained. It's lookin' kinda bad.

Got pretty bad here! Majority of Jeffersonville is without power including most of my neighborhood. My house and my 3 neighbors to the left have power but the rest is out. Luckily my house was one of the first in phase two and my power is connected to phase one of the subdivision. Louisville has close to at least 50,000 w/out power. Wind is starting to die down.

Glad to hear you have power and no damage. My mother in law lives in Sheperdsville, so I'll let my wife know to give her a call and check on her. That wind today was bad mo-fo!

We finally go back to school tomorrow! The students will really be wound up after being out for 15 days :shock:

Glad everyone came out OK.Sorry to hear about the damaged houses.We ended up having 65mph gusts in my area, but the rough winds only lasted 45 minutes.My nerves are still frayed.I live on a hill with very few trees near by,so I have no wind breaks.This is the roughest wind I've seen, since hurricane Hugo made it up here in the 80's.87 IIRC.I hope we don't have a storm like this for a long time.It was long and thin line of wind and rain.Streached almost 2/3 of the country from south to north.

Waterwings said:
Glad to hear you have power and no damage. My mother in law lives in Sheperdsville, so I'll let my wife know to give her a call and check on her. That wind today was bad mo-fo!

We finally go back to school tomorrow! The students will really be wound up after being out for 15 days :shock:

We are out until next tuesday for winter break. Glad you are getting back. Do you have to make them all up?

alumacraftjoe said:
Waterwings said:

We are out until next tuesday for winter break. Glad you are getting back. Do you have to make them all up?

Looks like we will. I just got back online. In the middle of reading a post our power went again for about 10 minutes. We're on a 1 hr delay starting tomorrow.

ben2go said:
Glad everyone came out OK.Sorry to hear about the damaged houses.We ended up having 65mph gusts in my area, but the rough winds only lasted 45 minutes.My nerves are still frayed.I live on a hill with very few trees near by,so I have no wind breaks.This is the roughest wind I've seen, since hurricane Hugo made it up here in the 80's.87 IIRC.I hope we don't have a storm like this for a long time.It was long and thin line of wind and rain.Streached almost 2/3 of the country from south to north.

If this system is tracking like it did through KY, you aren't done yet.

The winds with the storm weren't nearly as bad as the winds that followed a couple of hours later after it cleared up.

Quackrstackr said:
ben2go said:

The winds with the storm weren't nearly as bad as the winds that followed a couple of hours later after it cleared up.

Since seeing all the tree damage around here, be glad you don't have any trees near your house. I have none close to my house, which I'm thankful for now. Still looks like it wants to rain here.

Quackrstackr said:
ben2go said:

According to the 11pm news,we are done with it.Looks to be clear sailing for the next few days,at least.Looking at the local news channel now.No rain until late friday night in to saturday morning.Winds aren't supposed to be a factor in that.Just light hit and miss showers over night.Goosh,I hope it's a light shower.

The news is calling for 60mph gusts for us today...There is all kinds of crap flying around outside :shock: