Holes in a Duracraft flat: too big for JB weld?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandrew55

Reaction score
I've started a rebuild of my old 70s Duracraft 16 foot flat boat. It's always had these nasty old plastic seats on it so I decided one of the first things I wanted to do was remove them. They were bolted through two of the bench seats and have been hell to get off. The question now is about the holes left behind: can I fix these with JB Weld, of do you guys recommend something else? There are four holes for each seat, about 1/2" by 1" long. I plan to patch, sand and repaint, hopefully replacing the seats with some that can utilize the fantastic extrusion that comes on these old boats, a quick release thing that I've seen in use on another boat.
Let me know, and thanks!

Attachments

• duracraft holes.jpg
    duracraft holes.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 1,138
Not sure about the Jb Weld, but I have used steel flex two part epoxy on stuff like that. If you can fill the void with some sort of foam and then put a coat of steel flex over the existing hole. You can then sand and paint over it. Or just find some sheet aluminum and cut a square to cover it all, then use 1/16 aluminum rivets. Prime and paint and it will blend right in with the bench.

bigwave said:
Not sure about the Jb Weld, but I have used steel flex two part epoxy on stuff like that. If you can fill the void with some sort of foam and then put a coat of steel flex over the existing hole. You can then sand and paint over it. Or just find some sheet aluminum and cut a square to cover it all, then use 1/16 aluminum rivets. Prime and paint and it will blend right in with the bench.

Sorry for my ignorance, I thought JB Weld was a steel-based epoxy. You have a brand for that product? I like the foam idea--a can of that spray foam from H-D ought to do the job.

Im sorry I did not mean steelflex, brainfart. I meant MarineTex. You have to work with this stuff kinda fast, but once it sets it is hard as steel, and you can sand it.

Attachments

• martex1.jpg
    martex1.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 1,123
bigwave said:
Im sorry I did not mean steelflex, brainfart. I meant MarineTex. You have to work with this stuff kinda fast, but once it sets it is hard as steel, and you can sand it.
Awesome. I'll get some MarineTex and give it a go. Thanks.

I don't think any type of epoxy is going to hold up for that application. There's a lot of force on those bolts, the epoxy will likely crack and give out. You COULD use some SS toggle bolts, but, I hate that method, because you can never remove the bolts once they're installed, without losing the toggle inside the bench seat.

Your best bet would be to get a slider track and then screw or rivet it to the front edge of your bench seat. Then get a track plate for your seat swivel to bolt onto. Patch the old holes with steel flex, marine tex, or whatever, and be done with it.

PSG-1 said:
I don't think any type of epoxy is going to hold up for that application. There's a lot of force on those bolts, the epoxy will likely crack and give out. You COULD use some SS toggle bolts, but, I hate that method, because you can never remove the bolts once they're installed, without losing the toggle inside the bench seat.

Your best bet would be to get a slider track and then screw or rivet it to the front edge of your bench seat. Then get a track plate for your seat swivel to bolt onto. Patch the old holes with steel flex, marine tex, or whatever, and be done with it.

PSG,
That's actually exactly what I'm planning on doing. See below. My Duracraft has these great 'J-Hook' extrusions riveted to the two main bench seats. Back in the day, you could get Duracraft boat seats to fit these. I went fishing years ago in a friend's boat that was rigged up exactly this way. I've always hated these old plastic seats, just finally getting around to doing a boat 'Mod' after getting inspired by all of you guys here...I've ordered something that looks like it MIGHT work made by Atwood--got my fingers crossed. If it fits, I'll buy a second set and then my new boat seats.
Anybody got any seat recommendations, say no more than 60 bucks a chair?

Attachments

• J-Hook Extrusion.jpg
    J-Hook Extrusion.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,075
Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to about the slider track. Most of the better johnboats have these on the bench seats. A good design, and it beats the old-school method of bolting the swivel to the flimsy sheet metal seat. And it allows you to slide the seat to one side or the other, which is great for tiller handle boats.

I think Atwood is the maker of the plates and slider tracks I see in the stores around here, so, the plate you ordered should fit with no problem.

Latest posts