Homemade center council

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mncarpshooter

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum. I am looking to buy a mod v Jon boat this winter and I don't want to spend a whole lot so I will be modifying it myself. Anywho, I was wondering if anyone has made a homemade center council with a steering wheel and all controls. Any pics would help and suggestions are welcome. I'm am an experienced with a spool gun and have pressbrake experience.

Interesting thought.
Remember some basics.
That Center Console has to be STURDY!! You put a lot of pressure on that steering wheel.
Also all the Cables will go under a "Shoe" or panel on the floor back to your stern. Steering, Shifting and Electrical cables.

Now you have to find some Aluminum to make the Console then mount the console to the Bottom of the boat, and then run the cables and lastly make a "Shoe" or "Tub" to keep all those cables and wires in order and not being stepped on.

Be sure to plan the whole job, down to the last Rivet, before you make the first purchase.

I am fabbing mine out of 1/8" aluminum sheet and 2x2" angle. I will have my buddy weld it up and it will have mounting flanges on the bottom where it can be riveted to the deck bracing .

Mine is made from 1/8 aluminum. I did not use any angle, except for along the bottom, to have a flange to attach to the deck. All my bends and corners were formed with my home-made press brake (it uses a motor grader blade, and a 20 ton air-hydraulic jack)

I built mine out of wood then coated the outside with 3-4 layers of glass nothing to complicated the big radi in the front is formed by scoring a 3/16in thick piece of plywood and bending it into shape. Follow the link and you will see what I mean. I like aluminum better due to its ability to put up with the elements but I didn't have the tools to build one myself. And doing all by yourself is kind of the challenge of rebuilding any boat. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27912