Honda Outboard cooling issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcurling

Reaction score
Just picked up a 1998 Honda 9.9 4 stroke. Starts quick, runs smooth and there are no apparent issues. My concern is as follows; I am use to seeing a pee stream of water near the upper part of the engine on other outboards. This does not seem to be the case with this Honda. However, plenty of water exits the exhaust area around the propeller. Is the lack of a water pee stream from the upper part of the motor normal for this Honda? Thanks for your answers.

Does your motor have a pee hole? If so then just take an air hose and blow into it.

But I don't know if that motor actually has one. I would assume it does...but I don't know.

Now having said that, the motor not peeing out of the pee tube will not keep it from cooling.
One reason that it is not peeing out of the pee tube is that the water pump is not working. It is a fairly easy fix. Search for water pump here you should find plenty of posts about this.

Thanks for the reply. That is my delema, I can't find a pee hole. There are only two holes with tubes attached and both seem to address fuel overflow from destinct parts of the motor. I am getting lots of water from around the exhaust through the lower unit around the propeller however. Thanks, again.
Any fellow forum member own a Honda 1998 4 stroke?

All the pee hole really is, is a visual reference that your water pump is working. Having hot water around the exhaust/prop is ok. But if your outboard is not cooling properly, ie your getting alarms.
I would look at the t-stat or the water pump. I don't know that motor, (as stated above) but it should be just about like any other one.

Let me check a reference I have and I'll try and get back to you.

Did some searching and it appears that, that particular motor has issues with the water pump impeller. It appears that the impeller needs to be changed and there are several out there that claim that they have to replace their impeller every year. Possibly a flaw in the design.

There is supposed to be another place underneath the bracket that you can use an adapter to hook the water supply up to and that will make it pee out the pee hole.

I think that you should really look at the impeller.

JMHO

Thanks for going the extra mile for me, I appreciate it. Most definitely I will be digging deeper into the issue. May make a trip to the Honda dealeship. I would hate to damage the motor.

Latest posts