How much aircraft remover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinNC

Reaction score
Ive searched seven different ways of Sunday, but can't find this....so how much aircraft remover to strip a 1648 inside and out. I know it would vary depending on existing paint, ect, but trying to get a rough idea of what I need, assuming it takes one coating to strip it. Trying to buy all my materials, that way once I get started, I wont have to wait til the next pay day, etc lol. Four kids has it's limitations! Plus, I'd like to have everything ready to roll, so I won't have to stop and hunt this, or order that. Hope to have all my materials accrued for a rebuild by summer (flooring/decking), but really want to make sure I have all I need as far as paint and stuff.

Ok, so being the dense guy I am, I forgot to check the manufacture's website. Did I read it right, 1Gal=50sq feet or so? So I'd have to buy several gallons at $40/gal? I hope I am misreading something.

Not sure why you want to strip it. However a wire wheel and drill will remove loose paint so you can repaint it.

I ended up going through probably 2 gallons on my 1648 and to be honest it didn't get most of the stuff off. I ended up still having to use a wire wheel on most all of the boat. I was laying it on thick and letting it set for 30+ minutes not letting it dry.

My neighbor is a sheet metal worker and he said wire wheels will eat away the aluminum. (although not a lot)

I decided I didn't want to use them and I got all the paint off my 16ft starcraft with about 3 gallons. I used plastic scrapers, bristle brushes, and those paint stripping pads.

tcampbell011 said:
My neighbor is a sheet metal worker and he said wire wheels will eat away the aluminum. (although not a lot)

I decided I didn't want to use them and I got all the paint off my 16ft starcraft with about 3 gallons. I used plastic scrapers, bristle brushes, and those paint stripping pads.

I've never tried the aircraft remover, but I've wire wheeled many a boat and never had problems.

Exactly! Ive always just thrown a wire wheel on my drill and gone to town. I may have to try some aircraft remover though.

How well does it work?

If I wire wheel the hell outta my seams and rivets will Gluv-it stop a few of the seams from leaking??? Rivets do not leak just a couple seams. And I really want to avoid using any type of stripper as that will be one lest day on thy lake.
Thanks for any input!

bass427 said:
If I wire wheel the hell outta my seams and rivets will Gluv-it stop a few of the seams from leaking??? Rivets do not leak just a couple seams. And I really want to avoid using any type of stripper as that will be one lest day on thy lake.
Thanks for any input!
I had some leaking rivets and this is what I did. The wire wheel I had was too abrasive to use. So I ended up using a brush with a handle and just went over the areas by hand and ruffed up the paint. Cleaned it with acetone on a rag. Then applied 3M 5200. This was about 4 months ago and my boat has been in the water a lot. So far so good. Who knows how long it will last. Might start leaking tomorrow or not until next year but I'm sure it will leak again one day.