Hummingbird Pirhana Max 160 issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshGrass

Reaction score
I just picked up a hummingbird piranha max 160 and I'm having some issues. I think it has to due with my transducer placing. I have a Lowe 1648 flat bottom Jon boat and cant seem to find the sweet spot for the transducer...I can get it dialed in at low speeds but can't get it right at mid to full throttle on my Johnson 25hp outboard. I have also noticed that the depiction of the bottom contour is more like a liner graph with an underwater boulder looking like a spike in a line graph rather than a digital sonar image (like the package and directions show). I have read every article under the sun about transducer placement and have it set up to the right of my motor, between ribs (specifically between the last rib to the right of the boat and the right edge of the boat.) I have the transducer level as well. Are these units just not made for high speeds? How can I get the digital sonar readout looking a little more realistic? I have looked through the settings and have the chart speed set at high (directions say this will give the most detail) and I have the sensitivity set at 7 out of 10. I only paid 89$ for this, but feel it should work a little better. When I get going fast there are skips in the sonar bottom contour...and the depth reading goes up to the 200's. If I drop the transducer lower... I can get it to read out at high speeds, but there is a huge rooster tail behind my boat, and this does not help increase the sonar detail either... Does anyone have any tips for dialing this in with my boat combination? Any thing would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I will take some pics of the unit in action to help explain my issues.

Try adjusting it so it at an angle, ie deeper toward the back.

I'm not familiar with the HB Pirhanamax transducer. Does it have a gap between the transducer and mount like some of HB's other transducers? If so, try wrapping some electrical tape around the gap to reduce the roostertail.

At speed, you generally loose some resolution.

Thanks, I'll try the electric tape thing! Can I just buy a better transducer?...I'll also try putting it lower in the back. Any other tips?

MarshGrass said:
Can I just buy a better transducer?...

Not going to make any significant differance.

Try those things first. Keep in mind the Pirhana Max is a basic FF that has a small, low resolution screen. It's good for depth readings and basic bottom contours. If you want a more detailed display, will need to upgrade.

Latest posts