I have no clue what I'm doing... But I'm having fun doing it

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FloodCityKid

Reaction score
So I got my first boat. My dad's old 1979 Bass Tracker, complete with the vintage brown on orange color scheme. It has been sitting in the garage unused for about 7 years now. He finally said I could have it if I took him out fishing when he comes down to Florida. I agreed to the offer. Anyway, up to Pennsylvania for the boat. I was surprised how good of shape it was in for being that old and sitting for so long. I posted earlier this week asking some advise from you guys on getting this bad boy on the water. One member said I should post it on here and update my progress.
WPdPY.jpg

What I've done so far:
* New tail lights for the trailer
* Got a battery, tested the electronics. All wires are in good shape and the bilge pump still works.
* Started the engine (couldn't wait). I had a buddy who used to work at John Deere on small engines look at it, said it was fine to start, said it looked brand new. It idled and reved fine. Didn't put it in gear though. The muffs are right against the prop. I'm going to replace the gear oil then try to put it in gear this weekend and see what happens.
* Cleaned the gas tank and fuel line.
* There are two cracks above the water line. You can kinda see them in the picture. I'm going to scrape out the old silicone and fill them with JD weld marine epoxy.
RggZB.jpg

rMG7B.jpg

For this I may try to find a piece of aluminum and silicone the crap out of it and use stainless screws to try to patch it up. Or leave it as is. Its been siliconed like that as long as I can remember.
YOItN.jpg

Got some tips from Dave and fixed the trailer wiring. I luckily, or unluckily, forgot to pull the plug from the back of the boat and with all the rain last week it filled up with water. The good part about it was that I saw a huge bondo glob dripping under the boat when I was taking the cover off. Me and a buddy chipped it off and it was covering a rivet. Epoxied the rivet. None of the other rivets seemed to be dripping or leaking. No other bondo repair jobs down there either. Off to Harbor Freight for a Tarp!
Xgv1P.jpg

thats a boat that looks like it has lots of potential!!! :) that looks like a yamaha on that back? what outboard do you have on there? pictures are always welcome here!!!

FloodCityKid said:
For this I may try to find a piece of aluminum and silicone the crap out of it and use stainless screws to try to patch it up. Or leave it as is. Its been siliconed like that as long as I can remember.

You cannot allow stainless to be in constant contact with aluminum because of galvanic corrosion. Basically two dissimilar metals with separate corrosion potential will have a reaction where the aluminum in this case will become the anode and the stainless will become cathode.

The stainless and aluminum together will be a catalyst to corrosion with the aluminum being the anode will be the receiving end of corrosion. The speed of this is greatly increased by water especially salt water with a higher electrolyte content.

Man I knew I would use something from college chemistry one day!

Basically non science terms you're aluminum will start to corrode because of the stainless when it comes in contact with water and since this is a boat.. Not a great idea.

Also any cracks or leaks I would rather use Alcoa Aluminum Gutter Seal instead of JB weld because Alcoa has aluminum powder in it so it binds to aluminum extremely well. You have to google it to find it but i ordered a new tube off of vintage trailer supply.

Basically this is exactly what Alcoa gutter seal was made for. Just if you use it make sure not to glob it on thick because when it dries it's a pain to try and remove, it's made to last.

Well dang! What part of Gainesville are you from buddy? I'm out on the north side of town on race track road cr. 225

I went to P.k. Yonge and then SF college for my degree.

I grew up in Western PA then moved to S. Florida after high school. I got into to UF after finishing community college down there. Now just a workin' schlub.

I forgot about the reaction of different metals. I learned it too in a building construction class I took. It seems like stainless steel is the way to go to fasten anything. Wonder what else you would use? Like I said anyway, i'm probably going to leave it as is for now with the new silicone. I'll post again if I decide to do it.

You could just call up to Santa fe college and ask their welding shop how much it would be to weld the holes with an aluminum mig. I know they gave my buddy John a great deal to help him build a torch for metal building, it ended up being like $30 for an hour of work which is almost unheard of in welding

Buddychrist said:
You could just call up to Santa fe college and ask their welding shop how much it would be to weld the holes with an aluminum mig. I know they gave my buddy John a great deal to help him build a torch for metal building, it ended up being like $30 for an hour of work which is almost unheard of in welding

I agree, have those spots welded! Fix it once and forget about it!!