Installing an FM radio in my Valco 12 foot boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercap

Reaction score
There's an FM radio station where I live that I simply can't live without. I listened to it for weeks while restoring a 1982 Valco and now that the project is almost done I can't imagine taking it on the water without the radio station :lol: !

What is the best way to accomplish this? Do most people just strap a boom box to the boat or are there better less obvious ways? And for those who do us the boom box route how do you power it?

Thank you everyone here who has helped me along the way with your advice the boat is almost on the water now!

nomowork said:
I use an MP3 player and ear buds as a courtesy to fellow fisherman. JMHO
On behalf of fishers everywhere, thank you! Few things are more disappointing than hitting the water for some relaxing fishing only to encounter rhythmic tsunamis emanating from a boat acting as a giant speaker.
Plus this is a simple and very energy efficient solution.
Rick

i find the music of my johnsons running wot great tunes :) when i troll i use bells on the rod tips to here the bites. if i have the radio blasting i wont hear the fishies biting!
dino

a cheap 12V car stereo should work just fine. If it's worth anything I would go with a marine enclosure. Personally, I have about 5 of them sitting here and the goodwill always has em for $10 so If I fry it big deal..... I only use 1 speaker as well It's really not for sound quality. On a side note I keep it off or low around other fishermen as a courtesy.

Ive got a car radio in my 12 footer but i also bought a baofeng uv-5r off ebay for around 60 bucks.

It's got a great commercial fm receiver in it and decent speaker quality.

Plus, in a pinch, i can transmit on ham and marine bands if it's a dire situ.

You need a ham license to transmit, but in an emergency you are allowed to transmit for help if you need it.

A sinking or swamped boat qualifies as an emergency to me!

:)

I strap a boom box to the front deck of my boat and play Yellow Submarine. Nothing like tunes while fishing.... :shock:

any car stereo will work fine. I saw someone here has one with 2 speakers built into a box that is totally removable from the boat, i thought that was a great idea. i had a car stereo in a box in my dorm room in college. only small issue i see is you should unplug it to charge batteries, so you'll always have to reset the station(like when your car looses power).. no biggie.

if you want to use a boombox on a regular plug all you need is a low wattage power inverter. $29.

the only reason I don't plan to have a nice radio in my boat is that permanently fixed stereo speakers would be coupled to the frame, and a will turn your hull into a passive radiator so the fish can "hear" it too. A boombox sitting on a seat or the deck would be decoupled and less likely to attract underwater attention..

Wal Mart and the other big box chains sell little speakers that plug into a radio or phone's headphone jack and work off the device's battery and not your boat battery. They're not the greatest sound quality but it's more than enough for you to enjoy in the boat.

I agree, music played while trying to fish is distracting and I like being on the water for its peacefulness...However,we are all assuming Beercap is fishing... He may not be, maybe he's just 'cruising' the cottage lake with kids... Ive been on lakes where pontoons come by and people are chillin and listening to music... It all depends what kind of lake your on andwhat youre doing... Some lakes are just recreational spots for such activities, while others are mostly just for fishing..

I use a Sirius xm satellite boombox,also plug my smartphone into it for my I tunes and fm radio.its battery powered or I can run it from my battery bank thru my 12 v plug and a 75 watt plug in inverter.definately no headphones.

bcbouy said:
I use a Sirius xm satellite boombox,also plug my smartphone into it for my I tunes and fm radio.its battery powered or I can run it from my battery bank thru my 12 v plug and a 75 watt plug in inverter.definately no headphones.
Where did you get your sirius xm boom box. That sounds perfect for me. Cant be without my Hair Nation. Thanx