Jacking plate to install trim tabs?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
venom17 said:
LDOBS very true. Most boat owners do not do this. They will run it down and take off and ride that way. Once you hit the sweet spot you will gain speed because less hull is in the water causing drag and you will save gas because you will run in the optimal RPM range your specific motor. But do not go to high because you will loose water pressure and that can be REAL bad for the cooling system. That why most bass boat and race boat owners watch the pressure gauge when trying to find a prop for their boat.

You know I can almost just "feel" that the boat is has hit the sweet spot as you say. Haha. It kind of just feels lighter and the speedo goes up a couple of ticks. If I trim too far out at WOT the boat starts porpoising. But then I'm seldom at WOT.

Colorado1135 said:
Thank you for the tip! I still need to order the anode to try that first, it's the cheapest solution. been too busy with life throwing curve balls that I've just been fishing when I get a chance now that the fish are biting. I'm gonna order one right now, just need to figure out the size!

I'm jealous of you getting out on the water. After about 11 weeks the lakes I normally go to just opened. I can't wait to get out!

I live in South Dakota, one of the last free states.
Update, I took the boat out today and fished a bit, big motor had a short so I took the kicker to WOT as we headed back to the dock. it didn't get on plain as much of course, but did make the old gal nose out of the water and she didn't list a degree. granted this is a small sample size but given the evidence I'm leaning towards prop torque vs hull imperfections or water in flotation foam. we'll see when I get the new trim tab anode installed, should get here next week. I'll post an update when I get it and test it out. we went home with 2 20" walleyes this morning, headed back out in a few hours

new outboard trim anode will get here monday and I think that will do the trick. yesterday when headed back to the dock at 1/2 throttle and cruising at 25 mph I trimmed the motor up and down to see how it would react. I noticed as I trimmed up, the listing lessened. Now it wasn't a lot, but 1/3 probably so that tells me it's likely not an issue with hull variance causing drag or lift, it's in the prop/prop position indicating torque. I'll post a final update once I get the mercury trim tab installed and see if that does the trick. if it doesn't, then I'll have to look at doing trim tabs on the boat like I was originally thinking. wish me luck! LOL

Once you install it, there should be numbers to dial it in. Try it on 2-3 and go from there. Should be moving to the left if I remember correctly.

well to start it I turned it all the way, it helped immensely but there is still a slight port list. I'm thinking I might have to go my original route of trim tabs on the boat. we'll see how much it bothers me, might take a few more outings