JayMagLures 1960's Feather Craft Fisher 14 Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymaglures

Reaction score
I am just getting started on my project. I have gotten a lot of great ideas from this site and cant wait to get moving on my boat. I still cant determine what the exact year of my boat is but I'm sure that will come out later. I don't plan on a great deal of modifications but will make it a little more fishing friendly. My first step is to get the hull stripped and water test. So here we go and any advice or constructive criticism would be great.

Attachments

• Before Boat pictures 016.JPG
    Before Boat pictures 016.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,118
  • DSC00589.JPG
    DSC00589.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,118
  • DSC00587.JPG
    DSC00587.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,118
Thanks the boat is really pretty sound for the age and the price was right it came with a vintage holtsclaw trailer for $400. It has a built in livewell. It will come in handy on future tournaments. I tried the stripper on the paint no go back to the grinder!!!!!!

A little tip, if you haven't already finished removing the paint. Put the aircraft stripper on in about 12" by 36" sections and then cover it with plastic wrap. Gives it more time to work before drying. If it is windy, then it is hard to get it applied and a big enough piece of the plastic wrap on without it drying first or the plastic wrap twisting in the wind.

Ok so this project has been a very enlightening experience so far. I have gotten the hull ground to bare metal took about 12 hours grind time over a few days. Did the leak test and found a few leaks but not to bad. At this point I am going to grind down the seams and the rivets on the inside and apply a coat of Gluvit and retest for leaks again. Had a problem in the area where the water intake for the live well was so I'm going to blind flange the hole and seal it up. The way they had it set up was not to swift.I have also be reworking the trailer to get it ready to roll, here a few pics of the journey. These post may be a little jumbled on the time line but I'm still at work.

Attachments

• boat pics 016.JPG
    boat pics 016.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 830
  • boat pics 014.JPG
    boat pics 014.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 830
  • boat pics 003.JPG
    boat pics 003.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 830
  • boat pics 008.JPG
    boat pics 008.JPG