Jet Jon project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank ZX

Reaction score
I wanted to post pics of the 2 jet skis I have to work with, and my 1436 Lowe boat.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343920474.576791.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343920499.233615.jpg
I'm going to start tearing into the skis next week but I still have a few more fishing trips before I make the 1st cut on the boat. Fowl season in soon but I guess I'll use my 12ft Applebe for hunting.

Don't know if it would work or not but I like your idea of attaching the jet ski to the transom. I read where others have said that it would add to much rear weight and it wouldn't plane or would porpose. I think it there were pontoons on each side of the jet ski that it would work, you'd have more flotation in the rear. I have see people add pontoons when using an outboard jet for the same reason.

It will be interesting to follow your build no matter which way you decide to go.

Good luck with you project.

I see that one of the skis is a Yamaha, and one is a Tigershark.

Take my advice, and go with the Yamaha. Tigershark is no longer in business, and it's getting harder to find parts for them. Also, Tigersharks are not very reliable engines, they have a lot of design flaws and issues.

Keep us posted!

I would use the Yamaha. A lot of yamahas have an aluminum pump tunnel that unbolted from the hull. This way you don't have to mate fiberglass to aluminum.

joshfish said:
I would use the Yamaha. A lot of yamahas have an aluminum pump tunnel that unbolted from the hull. This way you don't have to mate fiberglass to aluminum.

+1

The XL800 and the XL1200 were 2 such models that used the bolt-in duct. Most other skis have the duct molded into the glass, which means you either have to make your own duct (a PITA, but it can be done), or you have to splice the hull of the ski into the hull of the boat, in order to utilize the duct.

The bolt-in duct is the easiest and most reliable means of doing it, with the ability to replace the duct if it should ever be damaged by sucking up a rock, etc.

When I sold off all my jet skis and parts I held on to an XL800 pump for a possible future build.

Latest posts