Johnson 25hp question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pappy said:
No, the tach may not be the issue........
The warning lights and the tach are powered up by a keyed b+ signal and ground. That is working.
The warning lights are on a chip and designed to test each individual circuit once powered up. That function is also working.
The tach signal is driven off one of the yellow leads on the rectifier. If no signal everything else is still capable of working. Faria tachs are notoriously cheap and it may still be the issue however I have seen more rectifiers fail to supply the tach with a signal.
If the battery leads have ever been connected or even touched backwards on the starting battery it immediately takes the rectifier out.

Quite possible as the cranking battery has been replaced.

Most boats I have had w/o trim run best in the second hole. If you are in the first the motor is tucked under.

Small update, while I was chasing an electrical issue with the anchor winch I found something important. The electronic winch had a broken negative wire at the terminal where it was attached to a 27 series battery. It was the ONLY thing attached to the third battery. The third battery is now out of the boat.

Don't know how far you venture from shore/ramp, but I only run one battery. I don't see a need for more than one in 99% of the rigs we sell/service/rig/use around here. I think most of us are within 5 miles of shore and on inland lakes and rivers. I could see having 2 if you trolled a LOT but in my case, I do troll some but not a lot...and that single battery will still start the outboard even after trolling for 5+ hours at 1-3 mph with the trolling motor. Yes it cranks a little slower, but it always starts. Besides, the motor's got a backup recoil start-so I'm not scared of running the battery down. Might be beneficial to have two batteries if you were running a long distance and trolling, and or a long distance combined with being in an areas where few others are. That doesn't happen where I am usually fishing. I run a blue top Optima which is lighter than a single 27 series deep cycle, takes up less space too. It's always connected to a trickle charger when parked. Last battery I bought was 1/18/2001 (optima) and I replaced it in 2015, so I do believe that the trickle charger helps battery life.

turbotodd said:
Don't know how far you venture from shore/ramp, but I only run one battery. I don't see a need for more than one in 99% of the rigs we sell/service/rig/use around here. I think most of us are within 5 miles of shore and on inland lakes and rivers. I could see having 2 if you trolled a LOT but in my case, I do troll some but not a lot...and that single battery will still start the outboard even after trolling for 5+ hours at 1-3 mph with the trolling motor. Yes it cranks a little slower, but it always starts. Besides, the motor's got a backup recoil start-so I'm not scared of running the battery down. Might be beneficial to have two batteries if you were running a long distance and trolling, and or a long distance combined with being in an areas where few others are. That doesn't happen where I am usually fishing. I run a blue top Optima which is lighter than a single 27 series deep cycle, takes up less space too. It's always connected to a trickle charger when parked. Last battery I bought was 1/18/2001 (optima) and I replaced it in 2015, so I do believe that the trickle charger helps battery life.

Probably will keep two for the time being. You are right about the trickle charger, I've got an 08 vintage deep cycle still going strong.

Finally got out last night for a while after the downpours last weekend. Motor in second hole, less one battery (now two), a little over a half tank of gas and I can get 20-21 mph on the clock. Regulator is on the way to see if that will make the tach operate normally. Re-stuffed the pedestal seats and cut down the protruding mounting bolts, what a difference! Upgraded to a taller front pedestal and it sure helps with the TM foot pedal. Since I'm seldom out all day, I'll look at cutting back to one battery. The only thing that concerns me there is if we run the livewell pumps and upgrade the electronics down the road. I'm very happy with the boat, handles like a dream and is comfy, stable and dry.

Installed the new regulator, tach is still inop. So, looking like a bad gauge after all. I'm going to try the wrap a wire around the spark plug wire type tach just to see if I can get a read on the RPMs. Take a look at the prop and see if you think it can be refurbed or just becomes the emergency spare. Looks like it was run on the river since it's pretty knicked up and dull. Don't want to buy new until I know for sure what I need.

Attachments

• IMG_20180923_111703924.jpg
    IMG_20180923_111703924.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,769
  • IMG_20180923_111700002.jpg
    IMG_20180923_111700002.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 1,769