Just for fun: can you tell me what this is?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only other thing I can think of is a FF/Graph box with place for Battery maybe for Ice Fishing .

Defiant said:
Only other thing I can think of is a FF/Graph box with place for Battery maybe for Ice Fishing .

good guess you deserve another hint.

How it is sitting in the boat now is how I would use it. Its important as to where its located in the boat

when I get home in a little bit I will take a pic of it with the lid open

then you will really be confused lol

I also have another one that looks different but operates on the same principle

perchjerker said:
look real close at it

you are all missing something

I can see the piece of wire or some wire-like material coming from a grommet that is obviously made for that purpose... but I have no idea what it's for. Is it a box made to hold a massive amount of copper wire for deep water trolling? I've used copper wire to troll, but spooled on a moocher reel. That is the only guess I have until you open it up.

jethro said:
perchjerker said:
look real close at it

you are all missing something

I can see the piece of wire or some wire-like material coming from a grommet that is obviously made for that purpose... but I have no idea what it's for. Is it a box made to hold a massive amount of copper wire for deep water trolling? I've used copper wire to troll, but spooled on a moocher reel. That is the only guess I have until you open it up.

Yes you got it!!

Actually its an antique handlining reel. Handlining is popular for walleye here on the Detroit River. Its a deep fast river
. You hook a 1-2 lb weight to the wire line, the spool is spring loaded to take the wire in and let it out.

Off the wire, between the snap and weight, there is what is called a "shank" this is another piece of wire about 3ft long with clevises every 6 in or so. You clip mono leaders to this and then use a shallow diving plug to slowly troll against the current bumping bottom as you go. I will get some pics of the inside of the box.