Kinkaid Lake 5/26.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseball_guy_99

Reaction score
Figuring the lake would be crazy because of Memorial Day weekend, we started early. Here is a pic of my dad's boat at the gas station at 3:30am...
photo(67).JPG

Water Temps-76-79
Weather-75-97 and sunny
Water Clarity= Lightly Stained and muddy

We fished from 5-2:30.

We started out throwing some Ribit frogs on grassy main lake banks. We picked up a few short ones here and there. My dad caught this nice 17"'er around 6am.
photo(68).JPG

A short while later, I picked up a 1/2 oz watermelon/red jig tipped with a watermelon/red baby brush hog. I picked up a few short ones here and there. We came to a point and my dad said "there is always a dink on this point"...I threw across the point with my jig and worked it back to the edge of the grass. I felt that awesome little *bump* and set the hook. I looked at my dad, smiled, and said so much for your "dink". I hauled this one to the boat. My dad guessed 4.5lbs...I guess closer to 5lbs.
photo(69).JPG

We continued to fish grassy main lake bank catching short ones here and there. I bought an Alabama Rig last weekend and I was bound and determined to catch a fish on it to justify spending $20+ on it! I threw it for about and hour with not so much as a bite. So we made a run to the shallower/muddier end of the lake because the wind started to pick up and my dad just HAD to go throw his spinner bait. So we made the 30min run to where he wanted to fish. We then fished for about 45mins without a bite so we headed back to the clearer water.

I picked my A-rig back up...still determined to catch a fish. The whole time I had been throwing it I was telling my dad that there is no way you would be able to tell if a fish was on there. The bait weighs like 4oz and I was throwing it on a 6'6" Heavy action rod with 50lb braided line. Man was I wrong....this little guy hit like a freight train!!! I finally justified my spending by catching a fish on it.
photo(66).JPG

The wind continued to pick up so my dad decided to try his luck with his spinnerbait in the clear water. He caught a few short ones and let a nice 2.5-3lber get off right at the boat. We found out that if you got out of the wind, the fish wouldn't bite. We caught fish all day long on every bait we threw. But plastics/jigs seemed to be the best bait.