Lake Greenwood, 2/26

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USSWormy

Reaction score
Headed out to Lake Greenwood in SC., to do a little Crappie fishing. Lots of fisherman on the water. I must have counted at least 25 boats in the area I was fishing. The bite was pretty slow, but I did manage to get a nice mess (15 kept, about 25 total) before I left at about 3 in the afternoon. Alot of Spider Rigging going on, but not a whole lot of fish caught on Jigs according to the people I talked with (I caught 75% of mine on minnows). Still a great day to be out...

I saw DNR Wardens several times checking people / boats. They have a heavy presence on this lake, and I think its a good thing. I have witnessed alot of crazy people out now that are kinda irresponsible.

Anyhow, a few pics...

The ones I kept were about this size, as I didn't catch any Slabs (a little too early?)
IMG_0145.jpg

The Bridge:
IMG_0144.jpg

Afew for the dinner table:
IMG_0146.jpg

This is the first year I have ever tried Spider Rigging for Crappie, and I gotta say...... Its pretty sweet. One this I found you really need is a long handled net though. It gets a little tricky to get fish in the boat without it. :lol:

Way to go! It's good to see you posting fishing reports again! I was getting a little homesick without something from SC

Nice report. Good to see that spider rig in action.

What time's dinner?

Thanks folks! Water levels are low, about 6 ft. down from normal pool. most of the fish I caught were in 16 ft. of water, and its usually 22 or 23. Water temps are normal for this time of year at around 45 to 49 (depending on where you fish). Wind was out of the WSW, but only 1 to 5 at best. Had to use the trolling motor pretty regular.

Side bar.......... some one has sunk a whole bunch of brush in the confluence area (where the Reedy and the Saluda meet) and if you are not careful or are using light line, you will lose rigs. :x These areas hold a few fish, but most of the fish I spotted on the graph were pretty much roaming schools. I dropped a marker and threw jigs around the brush but got very little (threw alot of different colors and variations of jig heads, with the most luck on 1/32 oz.) most of the brush is located all around this area, with no particular pattern. When you do find it, I would set up a triangular reference for future use. It will come in handy for the fall bite.

USSWormy said:
Thanks folks! Water levels are low, about 6 ft. down from normal pool. most of the fish I caught were in 16 ft. of water, and its usually 22 or 23. Water temps are normal for this time of year at around 45 to 49 (depending on where you fish). Wind was out of the WSW, but only 1 to 5 at best. Had to use the trolling motor pretty regular.

Side bar.......... some one has sunk a whole bunch of brush in the confluence area (where the Reedy and the Saluda meet) and if you are not careful or are using light line, you will lose rigs. :x These areas hold a few fish, but most of the fish I spotted on the graph were pretty much roaming schools. I dropped a marker and threw jigs around the brush but got very little (threw alot of different colors and variations of jig heads, with the most luck on 1/32 oz.) most of the brush is located all around this area, with no particular pattern. When you do find it, I would set up a triangular reference for future use. It will come in handy for the fall bite.

Thanks for the tip.Doubt I'll get down there this year.Can you still get up the rivers?We used to fish the area for cats.

Nice job - looks like a white crappie?

We have both white and black here, but the black crappie is much more common to my waters

ben2go said:
USSWormy said:

Thanks for the tip.Doubt I'll get down there this year.Can you still get up the rivers?We used to fish the area for cats.

Should be able to....... I don't think they will keep the water level down too long, but with the lack of rain..... who knows!

Several of my friends fish for Cats in the Fall (mostly Channel Cats) and they do pretty well with cutbait. They catch quite a few in the 10 lb. range :lol:

Nice looking fish.I have been rigging some like that this year.I am up here in NC at Lake Norman.I have never fished Greenwood.Keep catching and frying.

Latest posts