Leaking float bowl

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackWoodsTracker

Reaction score
This 25hp Merc I bought for my dad is getting to me! I have the oil leak fixed in the lower unit, now I need to find a new float bowl for it. I bought the rebuild kit thinking that would stop the leak. Low and behold, the gas is seeping through the plastic in a wierd place. I think I see againg why the guy sold me the motor! #17 is what I need. If you have any suggestions on where to get one, please let me know. New or used I don't care, as long as it holds gas!
https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/676_7.cfm

So is the float bowl plastic? And is it leaking through the plastic or is it coming up into the carb throat? What year is your Merc?

It's a 1983 Merc 25hp with a plastic bowl. It's seeping through the plastic, not the gasket. I sanded down the area last night and put some of that plastic weld stuff on to see if that'll work. I'm going to take the 15hp Johnson off the Lake Michigan boat for the day so we can perch fish tonight. I'll try the Merc tomorrow after the 24 hour cure time is up. I'll report back. But if anybody can find me a good bowl, I'll buy it now!!!

PLasti-weld seems to be doing the trick. No leaking and it's running great finally. Spent last night and this morning out perch fishing with my dad and uncle. 21.9 mph with the 3 of us in the boat seems pretty good to me.

Attachments

• P6230029.JPG
    P6230029.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 299
  • P6230034.JPG
    P6230034.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 299
  • P6230033.JPG
    P6230033.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 299
Glad it worked out :) It will be hard finding a bowl from the research I did...... obsolete. Better off getting a whole carb

Latest posts