Live Well Pump Question?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X53Gunner

Reaction score
I installed a live well pump in the transom of my boat. I didn't connect it to any power or anything and wanted to just make sure I had no leaks so I drooped it in the lake and the water just flows right through the pump into my boat...LOL Can you say big leak..LOL Anyway I thought that these pumps would only let water through when turned on electrically. Otherwise when I run the hose to my live well won't it just continue to fill it when I don't want it to? Thanks for the help!
Scott

X53Gunner said:
I installed a live well pump in the transom of my boat. I didn't connect it to any power or anything and wanted to just make sure I had no leaks so I drooped it in the lake and the water just flows right through the pump into my boat...LOL Can you say big leak..LOL Anyway I thought that these pumps would only let water through when turned on electrically. Otherwise when I run the hose to my live well won't it just continue to fill it when I don't want it to? Thanks for the help!
Scott

Yep, they are open through the pumps. It will fill to the level of the outside waterline, then the pump is to fill beyond that level. If your pump is going to be connected to a spray bar, then it won't fill the well unless the spray bar is below the outside water level.

Most livewells will fill through the drain tube, up to the outside water level, until you plug the drain, or turn the switch on some of the newfangled boats.

You want that to happen, so the pump is always primed. There's nothing worse than having to throw it in reverse to get water flowing into the pump, while you've got a fish in your hand.

bassboy1 said:
If your pump is going to be connected to a spray bar, then it won't fill the well unless the spray bar is below the outside water level.

Huh? The whole point of the pump is to fill beyond the outside water line :?

dyeguy1212 said:
bassboy1 said:
If your pump is going to be connected to a spray bar, then it won't fill the well unless the spray bar is below the outside water level.

I meant with the pump turned off. :oops: :oops:

Just pointing out what would happen with everything off, and water just flowing where it will flow naturally.

bassboy1 said:
dyeguy1212 said:
bassboy1 said:

I meant with the pump turned off. :oops: :oops:

Just pointing out what would happen with everything off, and water just flowing where it will flow naturally.

Whew.. that just about turned me world upside down LOL

Latest posts