Livewell drain on bottom of boat??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soky72

Reaction score
I just noticed on my 1999 Lowe Roughneck project that the livewell drain is on the bottom of the boat. I'm setting it up with a 50/35 jet for shallow river fishing and I'm wondering if that drain will hold up to the abuse? Any opinions on whether or not to weld it up and reroute out the side of the boat?

Attachments

• 20220718_150157.jpg
    20220718_150157.jpg
    877.8 KB · Views: 144
Appears to be plastic.....I wouldnt want a plastic fitting going thru the bottom where I could be running over debris in the water. Just imagine that plastic fitting hitting a log and breaking open!!!! Might be ok if it were tough metal, but plastic....not on my boat. What was the mfgr thinking?? Then again mabey that was installed by a pervious owner???

Yeah, ditch the plastic fitting.

You could replace it with a bronze thru hull, you can get them online and they aren't too expensive. A welder could also weld in a flush mount bung, or simply weld up the hole and re route it. I suspect you will have drainage issues if you try to go out the side of the boat.

MrGiggles said:

You could replace it with a bronze thru hull, you can get them online and they aren't too expensive. A welder could also weld in a flush mount bung, or simply weld up the hole and re route it. I suspect you will have drainage issues if you try to go out the side of the boat.

yep. also, here, and other states, in an effort to slow the transport of invasive species, have laws that state you must drain bilge and all live wells before leaving the ramp. a little water will get you big ticket! i aircraft patched over my livewell drains. the livewells are now dry storage.

MrGiggles said:

Sorry but NO bronze....electrolisis will occur and eat up the aluminum. Stainless is about the only metal that wont cause this issue. Dont think they make these in aluminum, if they do aluminum will work.

airshot said:
MrGiggles said:

Sorry but NO bronze....electrolisis will occur and eat up the aluminum. Stainless is about the only metal that wont cause this issue. Dont think they make these in aluminum, if they do aluminum will work.

Stainless is just as reactive, if not more so on the galvanic scale.

Well, maybe not ideal or the perfect option, but I would just leave it and use it. The outside flange projects down, what, less than half an inch I guess. Even in the worse case you run across something solid, it is likely to ride over it instead of breaking off.

MrGiggles said:
airshot said:
MrGiggles said:

Been using SS on alminum boats for over 40 years with O issues!! Must use real SS not cheap chinese wanna be stainless. Bronze will eat thru in a year or less.

LDUBS said:
MrGiggles said:

Yep, I wouldn't combine alum and stainless if I were going anywhere near salt water.

or going fishing in winter or spring. roads have salt too. it sticks to wet boat and follows you home.

poorthang said:
LDUBS said:
MrGiggles said:

Yep, I wouldn't combine alum and stainless if I were going anywhere near salt water.

or going fishing in winter or spring. roads have salt too. it sticks to wet boat and follows you home.

I've heard of putting salt on the road in the harsh winter areas. Doesn't happen around here. Only salt on the road around my neck of the woods is what is what we spill off our burger & fries. :D

Aluminum and salt do not play well together....keep that aluminum well washed after salt contact. These aluminum snomobile trailers have numerous coatings of clear sealant to keep them from getting eaten up. Also be aware that many states that add gravel to the edges of their roads also mix rock salt into the gravel to slow down weed growth. No matter where you live, giving those toys a bath now and then can be helpfull !!!

LDUBS said:
poorthang said:
LDUBS said:

I've heard of putting salt on the road in the harsh winter areas. Doesn't happen around here. Only salt on the road around my neck of the woods is what is what we spill off our burger & fries. :D

no harsh winters here either, but a couple snows and occasional ice. we do have a very good , well prepared, and generously funded DOT. they fix the problem before it happens by spraying a salt liquid on bridges and higher elevations. drive over it when it is fresh, or its melting snow, and it sticks to your vehicle and trailer undersides.
yall consume a lot of that fast food! my guess is one city in california consumes more salt than the entire state of arkansas consumes AND sparays on the highways~

poorthang said:
no harsh winters here either, but a couple snows and occasional ice. we do have a very good , well prepared, and generously funded DOT. they fix the problem before it happens by spraying a salt liquid on bridges and higher elevations. drive over it when it is fresh, or its melting snow, and it sticks to your vehicle and trailer undersides.
yall consume a lot of that fast food! my guess is one city in california consumes more salt than the entire state of arkansas consumes AND sparays on the highways~

We have a well funder DOT here too. Been here 70 years and still waiting to see one of them so something other than hold a clipboard or cell phone. :D

Yep, our salt consumption is a known fact. But not fast food. All highcustom made designer burgers and of course what spills off the rim of our margaritas! :LOL2: :LOL2:

This thread has taken a strange turn for sure!

LDUBS said:
poorthang said:

We have a well funder DOT here too. Been here 70 years and still waiting to see one of them so something other than hold a clipboard or cell phone. :D

Yep, our salt consumption is a known fact. But not fast food. All highcustom made designer burgers and of course what spills off the rim of our margaritas! :LOL2: :LOL2:

This thread has taken a strange turn for sure!

being from lowsyanna, i am accustomed to the opposite. a well funded dot means inner city parks have nets on 3 basketbal goals.

know why lowsyanna dot workrs sew their shirt pockets upside down? its so they can put a shovel handle in there and lean forward all day.