Looking for more information.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I picked up this old Johnson 9.9 from a coworker yesterday for next to nothing.He said it ran when he put it in the barn 12 years ago but it hasn’t been touched since. It was not stored properly so I am going through it and going to be fixing it up either to put on my 14’ Sea Scamp or sell. From the research I’ve done it’s a 1979 9.9. I’ve searched the model number but I cannot find anything with the “E” on the end of the model number. The plate is missing but the plug on the power head says “10RL79E”

Attachments

• IMG_1163.jpeg
    IMG_1163.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1164.jpeg
    IMG_1164.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1165.jpeg
    IMG_1165.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1166.jpeg
    IMG_1166.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 0
Suffix letters, for the most part denote mid year changes. Your engine enjoys a plentiful parts supply. Always buy OEM when you can. Things like carb kits for example are not complete kits when going aftermarket nor is the fit the best in comparison. '
When searching parts, the parts reference (such as marineengine.com)should also indicate the mid year change if you happen to need the part or parts that were changed. Pretty easy and nothing to worry over on your part