Lowe Roughneck 1755 Jet boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jonah You'd enjoy this one, the last dam is on Blewett Falls lake, after that its unobstructed all the way to the ocean. Lots of people make a float trip to Georgetown S.C, I hear it can be done in 1 long day but the way I figure it, its got to be more than 100 miles. I'd plan for 2 days. The North Carolina side is mostly rock but I've heard guys say once you cross into South Carolina its mud and sand. Let me know if you ever decide to head this way, I'll set you up with some good ramp locations.

Got a little done last night, mounted the .080 plate for the battery trays and cut the rear deck plate. I still have to clean that up for a nice clean look, break the lip that meets the bulkhead, and cut the hole for the live well hatch. Once I get this primed, motor gets re-mounted and I'll start installing the live well fittings and mount the onboard charger. Got a lot of stuff ordered, once it arrives it will be wide open till she's done.

Battery tray perch...

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

Rear deck plate....

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

Didn't get a lot done last night, Added some 2x2x1/4" angle to the knee braces for extra support. Primed and painted that. worked on cleaning up the rear deck plate, it fits real nice now. Cut the holes for the bilge pump though hull and live well fittings. My next move is to get the motor hung and rigging tubes installed, mount the battery trays with new group 29's and the onboard charger. Install the live well fittings, plus start working on getting the floor plate ready. My new rigging should be in next week, a lot is going to start happening real quick after that.

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0509.JPG

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

dearl said:
Jonah You'd enjoy this one, the last dam is on Blewett Falls lake, after that its unobstructed all the way to the ocean. Lots of people make a float trip to Georgetown S.C, I hear it can be done in 1 long day but the way I figure it, its got to be more than 100 miles. I'd plan for 2 days. The North Carolina side is mostly rock but I've heard guys say once you cross into South Carolina its mud and sand. Let me know if you ever decide to head this way, I'll set you up with some good ramp locations.

I definitely appreciate it. If I make it down maybe we can work something out and you go with me. Take care, man. Boat is looking good.

Took a few days off to go camping, got started on my rigging tubes today. Couldn't find 2" conduit so I had to settle for 1-1/2". Bent it to form the hull, stitched welded it in. Should have plenty of room for wires and rigging. My floor and front deck metal should be in this week, also some rigging and Hydraulic steering hoses, electrical goodies etc. I'm setting the splash date for March 11th.

Rigging Tubes....

IMG_0518.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0524.JPG

Did a little sanding and faring, got the inside, bow and gunnels primed and ready to paint. Running out of things to do until more parts get here. I really don't want to hang the motor until I paint the rear deck plate. Temps going to hit 80 this week, should be perfect for painting.

IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

Got the last coat of paint on the rear of the boat, nose, gunnels, and inside walls. mounted the onboard charger and mocked up the battery trays. Layed down some of the first of the 3 part stenciling, I'm not going overboard with the camo this time, trying to keep it simple.

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

Slowly but surely.... Got the battery trays mounted, installed my old batteries for now, hooked up the onboard charger, didn't think they would hold a charge but they do so I think I'll run these for now. Got the motor installed, engine harness ran, new power and ground wires and mounted the anchor light. These rigging tubes worked out great. Going to try and mount and wire both bilge pumps and wire the anchor light tonight Plus run the control wires for the jack plate. My Live well plumbing and control cables should be here this week, once that's in I can mount the rear deck permanently and paint it.

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

Got a little done after work last night, Both bilge pumps are mounted and wired, I run 1 on the console switch and 1 automatic pump wired to my starting battery, that gives me 1000 gph total if needed. Its float operated, fishing at night, its cheap insurance knowing I have a pump that will come on if we spring a leak for some reason. Plus I have been caught in down pours where 1 - 500 gph pump just couldn't keep up. Got the anchor light in and wired, also the Jack plate relays are mounted/ switch wires ran to the front. Control cables come in today, I'll get those hooked up and ran tonight. Live well fittings coming in tomorrow, I'll spend tomorrow evening plumbing all that. Rigging wires are adding up, at least that much if not more still left to add.

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

Got the control cables installed last night, I used the Teleflex extreme cables, and they are as described, very smooth. Also wired the jack plate, it functions perfect, wired the motor and tested, Turns over. Cut the front bulk head hatch and installed. Planning to plumb the live well tonight, plus run the fuel lines. Had a mix up with my deck and floor metal, looks like it will be Wed/Thursday of next week before I can get those, sucks too, puts me behind another week.

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

IMG_0584.JPG

Be careful with the auto bilge pump float switch when towing if it is directly wired to the battery. I left my switch on auto and when I pulled away from the ramp, my float switch flipped up and was running my bilge pump the whole way back to camp. When I got out of the car I heard a humming sound and found my pump running dry. Luckily it was only a 10 min drive, as it could have ended up much worse had I been driving longer. You may want to put it on a switch so you can shut it off when not needed.

BigLuke said:
Be careful with the auto bilge pump float switch when towing if it is directly wired to the battery. I left my switch on auto and when I pulled away from the ramp, my float switch flipped up and was running my bilge pump the whole way back to camp. When I got out of the car I heard a humming sound and found my pump running dry. Luckily it was only a 10 min drive, as it could have ended up much worse had I been driving longer. You may want to put it on a switch so you can shut it off when not needed.

I'll keep that in mind, Thanks.

mbweimar said:
**** you work fast! Looks great!

Working on a deadline Brother Lol. March 18th is the first Lake Tx of the year, and I wont miss it. We won it last year with a 3 fish stringer for 95.7 lbs, all flatties!

1st place April 95.4 lbs.JPG

That's me on the left with the International Harvester T-shirt, my nephew in the middle and my son is in the blue T-shirt on the right.

Managed to get the new fuel line and bulb installed last night, Primed the inside of the live well, added a coat of flat black paint. Live well fittings are in, plan on finishing that up tonight. Got eight red 4" LED lights to mount, 2 in the live well, 4 in the main floor area, and 2 on the front deck. Got the Hydraulic steering kit ordered yesterday, it should be here Wednesday, once installed I can button up the rear deck and paint it, Ordered my hatch lids Last Tuesday, they should be here next week also, its coming together pretty quick, I got boat work backing up, people getting tax money back, my phones ringing off the hook.

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0591.JPG

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

Got a few things done over the weekend, Live well fittings are in, mounted 2 red LED lights in the live well. Also mounted 6 more around the gunnels. Mocked up the live well timer assembly, I still have to mount the switch for the live well lights. Electrical parts arrive today, and hydraulic steering will be in Wednesday, deck metal on Thursday, then its off to the races till she's done.

IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0624.JPG

Awesome build! Wish I had the fab skills and tools to do work like this.

What height is your transom? Looks like 20" and you used a jackplate to make up for the extra height of that motor?

I have a 1752 roughneck jet tunnel very similar to yours. My transom is 20" to top of tunnel. Currently have a 50/35 that's just not cutting it and I am debating between a merc 60/40 or 90/65 for sale locally.

Any recommendations on which route to go? I'm not sure if the added weight of the 90 will cause me to regret it.

gabeskillzz05 said:
Awesome build! Wish I had the fab skills and tools to do work like this.

What height is your transom? Looks like 20" and you used a jackplate to make up for the extra height of that motor?

I have a 1752 roughneck jet tunnel very similar to yours. My transom is 20" to top of tunnel. Currently have a 50/35 that's just not cutting it and I am debating between a merc 60/40 or 90/65 for sale locally.

Any recommendations on which route to go? I'm not sure if the added weight of the 90 will cause me to regret it.

Go with the 90 you won't regret it, mine weighs 318 lbs and the transom handles it fine. Actually my hull is rated for a 115, if I ever re power, that's what's going on it!

Was off work for 4 days, got a lot accomplished. Started the 1st day off sanding and prepping the outside for paint, wind blowing like crazy, hard to keep the paper and tape on the boat. Paint and stenciling turned out good I think. 2nd day started on the floor and hydraulic steering. I insulated the floor area with sheet foam, not so much for flotation but for stability, and its solid. Started on my front deck plate, and bow coverings. Got all that installed, then mounted my live well timer, live well light switch, and wired all that. 3rd day mounted the console and installed key and kill switch, then the controls, adjusted everything out. 4th day I cut down a huge Pecan tree In the yard that lightening hit last year. Took most of the day to clean that up Lol, but so far she's looking more like a boat. I should be ready for a water test Friday or Saturday.

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG