Mariner guys I need your help... Not sure if my Mariner 9.9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weeman1199

Reaction score
So I bought this motor yesterday from a guy and he says it's a 1995 9.9Hp Mariner air cooled motor. First thing there is a pisser hole in front corner, second it starts and runs great but no water comes out! Should I be worried about the water pump being out? Could I drive it without damaging anything? The Lower unit doesn't have the vents where you would put muffs so I ran it in a bucket. The motor looks really good on the inside and starts, runs, and goes in gear great I'm just worried about the impeller. Third thing I don't really know what year it is bc it looks kinda older than a 95 but I'm no outboard guy. The serial number I found which was hard to read was 0B120809. Can someone please help me verify what I have so if I need to buy parts I can. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366866824.842594.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1366866900.172739.jpg

Looking at the Decal pattern, I'd say it's more likely an 85-89 than a 95 model. If it's not pumping water, do not start it or run it any more if it's getting hot until you fix it. If the motor is staying cool, it could be pumping water OK and just have a clogged tell tale hole. All the Mariners I've seen including mine have the tell tale hole on the back right corner. It's a tiny hole in the casting. Barely big enough to stick the end of a paper clip in to so it's easily overlooked especially if it's clogged or got dirt around it. I replaced the impeller in my pump and had to keep using a small wire to dislodge trash in the tell tale several times while it was running to finally get a steady stream. Did you get the serial off of the plate on the transom clamp or the freeze plug. If you can find the plate on the clamp, see if it has any other number preceding the serial like a 682. Also see if the model is stamped in it like "9.9CE" or something like that.

[youtube]f9S6xQ6b1rQ[/youtube]

[youtube]3b_xC2p3Skc[/youtube]

By the serial number its one of the first built by Mercury. Not sure on the year by this chart its maybe a 87.
https://www.storesonline.com/site/573683/page/608072
But it skips 87 for some reason.
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury_marine_parts/sn/0B120809
Theres a link for parts.
Replace the water pump impeller so you know its good. Take the serial number to a Mercury dealer and they should tell you the year for sure.

Steve

Maybe I'm wrong but if its air cooled it would not matter if it was run out of the water. If it has a piss hole then its not air cooled and should not be run out of the water. If you can't find where to put the muffs on than you'll need a barrel filled with water.

Ok today I took apart the lower unit. I found the problem... It was missing the impeller key, so the impeller wasn't spinning! Good news the impeller was in perfect shape and nothing was messed up looking except the oil was real milky. It has prop exhaust and it is defiantly water cooled and the pee hole was clogged with leaves and gunk And it's a 1987 model mercury mariner not a 1995 I love it when I buy stuff from people and they don't even know what they've had for years lol

But Thanks for your help guys I know can't order parts if I ever need too and I am buying the part I need in the morning and hopefully that's all that was wrong. Bc she runs and start perfectly.

Glad to hear you found your problem and that the problem is not someone more major. Get that oil changed in the lower unit and keep checking it for the next several times you take the boat out to make sure you don't have an issue with the seals in the lower unit. Water intrusion in the lower unit can make for some expensive repairs if you damage any of those gears.

Yea I'm glad it was a cheap fix lol and nothing major I had to shop all around but I found a local dealer who sold me just the key and an impeller so I'm glad it's something I can repair and don't have to pay for the labor lol ill have it all back together soon and take her out for a test run but thanks to everyone for all the help

Ok today I took apart the lower unit. I found the problem... It was missing the impeller key, so the impeller wasn't spinning! Good news the impeller was in perfect shape and nothing was messed up looking except the oil was real milky. It has prop exhaust and it is defiantly water cooled and the pee hole was clogged with leaves and gunk And it's a 1987 model mercury mariner not a 1995 I love it when I buy stuff from people and they don't even know what they've had for years lol

But Thanks for your help guys I know can't order parts if I ever need too and I am buying the part I need in the morning and hopefully that's all that was wrong. Bc she runs and start perfectly.
Wow all I can figure is it broke or the nylon washers just wore out on both sides of the impeller and gave it enough clearance to slip out and that doesn't usually happen you know sometimes when installing if you don't check it slide right out on you

Latest posts