Metal flake paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony12118

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have an older red starcraft 16ft v hull. I bought it a year ago to get my 5 year old out on the water while i save for a new Tracker. Although i liked the red i fell in love with the metallic blue look. Let me begin by saying I want a simple paint job. I'm not looking for a professional job, the red was brushed and rolled on and it look fine for what we do with it. My idea was to buy some Rustoleum enamel royal blue and add some blue metal,flake to the paint and simply roll it on with a foam roller. I understand flake is put on as a top coat with clear and sprayed on but this is going to be a project for me and my now 6 year old and hes pumped to help. Will this method give me a metallic paint look? They do make rustoleum metallic spray paint but the cost is going to be much more than the roll on...thanks for the advice. Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_193221_036.jpg
    IMG_20200715_193221_036.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 170
I would try it on some scrap material 1st. Go thru all the coats. Then you will be able to judge the end result before commiting the whole boat. If it didn't work out on the boat, you would have a lot of sanding to do to start over.

CedarRiverScooter said:
I would try it on some scrap material 1st. Go thru all the coats. Then you will be able to judge the end result before commiting the whole boat. If it didn't work out on the boat, you would have a lot of sanding to do to start over.

This is what I do whenever working up a paint job.

Make a few “chits” and try different methods. Then if one doesn’t work you can just toss the piece of chit and try again on another piece of chit.

Another option might be to “color key” first by rolling on the blue as a basecoats, then use the metalic spray over the top. That way you are not trying for coverage, just the metallic look.

Similarly you could base roll the blue, then get a small amount of same rustoleum in clear and add flake to that and roll. Just remember to keep shaking/mixing to keep glitter suspended.