Mini-Jacker

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
software updates are a breeze. Importing waypoints are pretty easy too -once you read about it for a few hours.

But to your motor issue, You will likely get surface clutter on the side imaging, but it will still work. I have tilt/trim and tilt mine up a bit and it works great, but it still works when the motor is down too.

OK, took the boat out last week. I could scan with the motor trimmed all the way down (which is where I normally have it) but got much better/sharperscans with the motor trimmed up (where I normally don't have it). I guess I could always just trim the motor up when scanning, but that wouldn't be any fun, so I've ordered the mini-jacker, which will move the shaft ot the motor 4 inches back off the transom which should allow for clear scans at any trim.

Now, the purpose for installing the mini-jacker is to clear space for the side-scan. However, if I can improve the performance of my outboard that would be an added benefit. I definitely don't want to make the performance any worse!

Currently, my cav plate sits about an inch below the bottom of the hull when trimmed level. Does anyone have any suggestions on where (i.e., what height) the jack plate should be installed on the transom? It seems to me that, if I mount it flush with the top of the transom (i.e., the lower side mounting rails) I should end up with the cav plate 2 inches above the bottom of the hull, which, I have read, should be okay.

Any thoughts or advice?

That would be a good place to start. Then you can use wooden spacers and see if going higher would be better.

I mounted a mini-jacker on my 2008 grizzly 1448 w/25 hp Mercury. I mounted the top of the mini-jacker even with the top of my transom. My Transom measures 20 inches. My cavitation plate is now a hair above the bottom, not much at all. I think if I wanted to do it over I would mount the mini-jacker with 1 hole showing above the Transom. I have ran it one time since I mounted the mini-jacker. Since then I had 2 mounting plates welded up against the front deck so I could mount the cranking battery and trolling battery for weight purposes. The weather hasn't co-operated with all the wind and fires here in Texas to put a jon boat in the water. I'll let you know how it runs when I get to launch again. I do have pictures in the forum under the 2Feettexan of the mini-jacker.