Missing title & Registration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Registration Problem:
I see so many nice 14' Jon boats for sale on CraigsList without papers.....
I really want one but I know that trying to find the "rightful owner" that
matches DMV records could be a nightmare..........

So, my question is this ..... in Florida, how much "modifications" would have to be
made to qualify the boat as HOME MADE in order to get just the registration numbers ???
anyone done this in FLORIDA ? And, I would be very uncomfortable with grinding any serial numbers.
I did this with a boat trailer and it was quite easy with DMV.

anyone ????

There is nothing more grand than
to be just simply messing around
in an old boat . . . . POGO, 1960

I just went through this with a 14 footer I had. When you claim home made, an officer has to come inspect the vessel and write a report, or so St. Lucie County DMV tells me. I thought of doing the same, but luckily found a guy to buy it. I'd talk to your DMV.

I just titled a 12' Jon that the PO had no paper work on. I don't believe it was ever titled because it is so old.
When I bought it I had the owner and his Father sign a bill of sale.On the bill of sale I had this information.
To their knowledge the boat has or never had any serial number or hull id number.
The boat has been in the family since new, never been titled.
What family member pass the boat on to the kid I bought it from.
How much I payed for the boat.
I hope this may help some way.
The state of Fla. allows up to 30 day to register after purchase.

I walked out with a title,that day.
It will be more paper work for a boat with a lost title.
Information required to do this is online at the DMV.

I would not claim it as home built. If the coast guard, or game warden guys ever suspect that it is not, they can and will confiscate your vessel. ( That's what a game warden told me!)

I am in agreement...talk with the DMV and work it out. I'm sure you are not the first to wonder about the qualifications for a home made vessel. They should have some guidelines, but I am sure you can plan on an inspection/s.
It's not uncommon for a tin to predate the 1972 hull Id requirement. Talk with the State. They generally have a form for most scenarios. In my case a few states were involved. A notarized bill of sale and current registration for that state...3 weeks later and a handful of faxes/snail mail a titled/registered vessel with an assigned hull id. Personally, I would avoid the "modification" route.

Good luck. In NY it is near impossible to register anything when the original title or transferable registration is "missing". I tried it with an old utility trailer when my Grandfather passed away.

I cruise the for sale ads and sights all the time and will not even consider a boat ot trailer without paperwork. It is not worth the hassle, no matter how good the deal is. I learned the hard way.

I'd suggest getting something with a title. It's not worth the headache of trying to get around it, IMO. I bought a Tracker 1648 with trailer and the PO had title for boat in hand (but it was registered in his brothers name) and the trailer was never registered so all it had was a certificate of origin. I thought all was good, until I got to the DMV. Even with the PO being EXTREMELY helpful in trying to get things squared away. It still took me 18 months to finally get both the boat and trailer registered in my name. PITA for sure!!!

Looks like I don't have a chance. I have a Ol' Lone Star Commander that my brother and I have kick back and forth for years on the "One Dollar" deal. Well, he past away and I have the boat and he has the title and his wife you can't talk to. What do you do.

I had a 12 ft jon boat that was given to me for free. this thing was old and had no markings or paper work. I called the PA fish and boat commision and told the lady it was an old boat that I got at a yard sale. She said to have the seller sign a bill of sale to prove that i "purchased" the boat. Then they issued me a new Hull ID number and registered it. It wasnt that much of a hassle at all. She said it happens alot with old jon boats, they usually dont fuss too much unless its over 16 ft.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344036#p344036 said:
BrazosDon » Today, 02:17[/url]"]Looks like I don't have a chance. I have a Ol' Lone Star Commander that my brother and I have kick back and forth for years on the "One Dollar" deal. Well, he past away and I have the boat and he has the title and his wife you can't talk to. What do you do.
one

When my Grandfather passed away they told me I needed the transferable registration, or title based on the item, and a copy of the death certificate.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=344036#p344036 said:
BrazosDon » 07 Mar 2014, 01:17[/url]"]Looks like I don't have a chance. I have a Ol' Lone Star Commander that my brother and I have kick back and forth for years on the "One Dollar" deal. Well, he past away and I have the boat and he has the title and his wife you can't talk to. What do you do.

I'm sorry for you loss. Unless your brother had a will and listed you as the recipient of the boat, I think all you can do is appeal to his wife. The bigger lesson here is to make a will and file it with your county clerk. It can be amended at any time. I'm not a lawyer....just drawing from personal experiance.

Or....Orrrrr.....have someone she doesn't know, buy the boat with title, then sell it to you. It wouldn't be a 'dollar deal' but you'd have the boat that you and your brother loved so much.

one

I think it would be a hassle in IL too. Our DMV has gotten very strict about licensing everything in the past ~10 years.
You must have a title to a boat or trailer, only exception is if it is new (must have certificate of origin then) or from a state that does not title / license trailers (like WI , I think) then you must have a bill of sale. They could be nice and do the homemade route but very unlikely they will do it.

IL also taxes all sales of used boats (or maybe just +16ft), I think it is around 4%, cost me ~$60 on my $1400 boat from IN.

It's a hassle in IL to buy a boat, makes you just hang on and keep fixing your own. If you don't license a trailer EVERY year, they will charge you for back unpaid years when you do try to license it or sell it too plus penalties.

Tim

before 1971 boats didnt have hull ID numbers. So if its pre 71 they give u a HIN.

In Mo use a form 798 most office's don't know what it is.. take your boat to the inspection station and get it inspected then to the license office for a title . it works and really not much hastle

Latest posts