Mod or build new?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoestringmariner

Reaction score
So my 12' conversion is a fail. Not a real fail, just not as good as I hoped. Too small and tippy and I only raised the floor a few inches.

I'm going to use it on a few small water bodies and let it go in the spring, so the new debate is what to do; Build a new, custom boat or modify an existing?

I'd love to build a new one because finding the width and size I'd like is a challange and finding a decent hull that wont break the bank or is not a full package is a challenge. I am also having a tough time finding plans for aluminum (or plans that fit my requirements). There's TONS of wooden boat plans, which stands to reason (there's not a great deal of people out there who can work with aluminum due to experience or equipment)

So the dilemma stands keep searching for plans, or keep searching for a deep, wide 14' or 15' and mod it? (Suggested makes & models for ideal conversions are very welcome...as is a source for plans)

I wish I could just drop by BPS and measure up some hulls. I don't think that would go over well

I don't want to gamble with an unknown hull design though

thoughts??

shoestringmariner said:
So my 12' V hull conversion is a fail. Not a real fail, just not as good as I hoped. Too small and tippy and I only raised the floor a few inches.

I'm going to use it on a few small water bodies and let it go in the spring, so the new debate is what to do; Build a new, custom boat or modify an existing?

I'd love to build a new one because finding the width and size I'd like is a challange and finding a decent hull that wont break the bank or is not a full package is a challenge. I am also having a tough time finding plans for aluminum (or plans that fit my requirements). There's TONS of wooden boat plans, which stands to reason (there's not a great deal of people out there who can work with aluminum due to experience or equipment)

So the dilemma stands keep searching for plans, or keep searching for a deep, wide 14' or 15' and mod it? (Suggested makes & models for ideal conversions are very welcome...as is a source for plans)

I wish I could just drop by BPS and measure up some hulls. I don't think that would go over well

I don't want to gamble with an unknown hull design though

thoughts??

The cost of building an aluminum boat from scratch would probably be 20 times the cost of a used one and take forever and a day. I'm able to fish out of a used one until I have time to do all the stuff I think it needs.

Thanks. The thing is, I want a deep and wide body. I've been polishing a road apple with this 12' and all the 14's around here appear to be the same variation of narrow-ish hull, just a little longer. (Same unstable boat??)

If I build, I'd like it to be be similar to this, which I cannot afford new
https://legendboats.com/boat/prosport/construction/#.WVWj9FGQyM8
https://legendboats.com/boat/angler/#.WVWoy1GQyM8

A less fancy version, but same basic rig

Of course, I'd much rather go the conversion route
I like the Starcraft SS160's, did they make a 14' or 15' version that could be converted to be similar? (even with a single console?)

This is one that I would search craigslist for. I see lots of aluminum boats locally, and I really like my 16 footer. Funny part is how certain brands are more localized and pull a bit higher price. In my neck of the woods you see a lot of Valco, Klamaths and Gregors. Many people have never heard of a Fisher or a Crestliner. Good luck on the search