Most Seaworthy 14 Ft Aluminum Boat all models all years

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmtmv1

Reaction score
So here is the 64,000.00 Question? In everyone's humble opinions
of all makes all models all years what is the consensus on the most Seaworthy 14 Ft fishing Aluminum Boat?
I have a Meyers Pro 12 Ft that I bought in 1975 and it has been incredible. I'm in upstate New York and looking at all the different models and manufacturers
and years for sale. Have at it !!!!!

Last edited:
Just look for the widest and deepest 14' alum boat you can find...being wider and deeper than the others will make them more seaworthy as does material thickness.
So...when do I get my check?? Lol.
When you come here and we go Fishing !!

I'd think if seaworthy means what I think it does the transom design would be a consideration, no? For the record my 14" MirroCraft deep fisherman seems pretty seaworthy to me.

My 1969 sea nymph would not qualify. Spray rails do not protect the driver at speed on winds, transpme design is not good for keeping stray waves from washing over and it isn't terribly stable (tippy) .

I'd think if seaworthy means what I think it does the transom design would be a consideration, no? For the record my 14" MirroCraft deep fisherman seems pretty seaworthy to me.

Seaworthy to me would boil down to the ability to take big waves without taking on water or capsizing. So a full Deep-V hull, 20" transom, ~72" beam, and a pretty healthy outboard, 35-50hp.

Lund makes some tin boats that are quite popular with great lakes fisherman. My 1436 polar kraft would likely sink in rough conditions from taking on water. We were out on the lake this weekend in 20mph winds on a very busy lake it made for a good 2ft chop with some waves atleast twice that. Glad we were in the 20ft xpress and not the polar kraft or we would have been In serious trouble.

I agree with the post above, that Deep-V design, high gunnels and a well designed transom WITH self-draining splashwell are very important. Also, a strong stringer design is important, as well as full, level foam floatation, just in case.

I've seen a number of older Crestliners, Starcraft and Lunds that fit this bill. Many of the newer "Guide" series lake boats fit this bill very nicely, but not sure I've seen one in a 14 footer.

Contrary to a comment above, I've found my 1985 Sea Nymph 14M to be quite "seaworthy." Not quite 14 1/2 feet long, with a beam of 66", she's a stout boat and stable enough for fishing in the sloughs and estuaries around San Francisco Bay, as well as mountain lakes.

Rated for 35 hp (a mite optimistically, I think) she scoots about quite well with smaller motors. I've had a 25 and 15 on her, and my favorite has been a 9.9 Suzuki. Plenty fast enough for this old fart. 😉