Motor buying help!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrClamp

Reaction score
So, I'm looking at buy a motor. I see prices range all over the place. I guess my question is, Has anyone ever rebuilt there own lower unit? I'm very good with my hands and basically have a full machine shop to work with. I cant imagine it's much more than some bearings seals and maybe the gears and shafts at worst case? (assuming the case is good) I'm looking to get something in the 35hp range cheap (like everyone else). If I can invest some time into it and save some coin, I'd rather do that.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Mike

They are not that difficult to work on, and your explanation about somes it up, going back together being the hardest and most important. As one has to be careful not to pinch seals or misalign something.

If you have any experience with gearboxes, it is a piece of cake. Biggest complication will be finding parts if the shafts and gears are damaged. I have a few that were deemed worthless, as the bearing spun on the shaft, and finding a good condition shaft is about impossible, or at the very least very expensive.

Latest posts