Motor size for 1448 boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TN_tinyboat

Reaction score
Hello, newbie here to TinBoats, thanks for the add by the way. Recently purchased a Sea Nymph 14 V-hull with Tohatsu 6HP. I went through the exercise of adding seats and bow mount trolling motor and took it out on Old Hickory Lake for the first time this past weekend. I was really disappointed in the stability of this boat. I am a rather large guy at 6'7" and had my fishing buddy which is about the same height as me but little heavier. Anyway, I am not comfortable with this boat and have decided to sell it and get a boat much similar to what my dad had for years, which was a 1448 Tracker Grizzly. My question is will the Tohatsu 6hp be too small of an engine for a 1448 aluminum boat with two guys and a trolling motor? I do not have the need to run down the lake at 70mph to beat anyone to a fishing spot but if I need to make a 1-2 mile run is that asking too much for this small motor? Looking for thoughts so if I should hang on to motor or sell it with the Sea Nymph? Thanks for any suggestions or personal experiences.

I've already used a 4.5 on a 17' Starcraft SFM, it got me there but SLOWLY!
I would go with a min. of 15hp, better yet go with the rated hp for the boat as already suggested, i doubt if you will be sorry by going with the bigger motor.

Grizzly's are heavy boats. A 6hp on there would be a glorified trolling motor. You really need to go with the hull rating which should be 25hp at a minimum. FWIW there are decent amount of youtube videos of that exact boat with various motors on it for reference.

Thanks for the replies. That is kind of what I was figured but was hoping to not have to make that investment in another outboard. I do see some guys running 9.9 or 15 hp and able to get it up on a plane but fully loaded with big guys like me I might was well plan on going big. Thanks again.

tracker grizzly 1448 is rated for 25hp. They list it as 562 lbs weight.

I don't think their weight is correct. I've got a heavy war eagle 1548 with floor, all .100, and it's 360 lbs.

that said I've recently run a 1448 grizzly with a 25 yamaha. Was not impressed with the hull's performance. It felt heavy. 26 mph top speed. For reference the exact same motor and prop on my war eagle is 29mph and change.

Yes you will definitely want to power it with a 25. 25hp on a 1448 is a great combination. If for some reason you don't like it or if you find something you like better, a 1448 with a 25 is going to be real easy to sell.