My 1232 tinboat project....would like some thoughts b4 build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I hope everyone's having a decent day so far. I'm new to the site and been doing some research on here of various build outs I've seen so far. I would like to modify my boat but seems difficult because of the lower width only being 32" here's what I have to work with and what i would like to do..

https://s802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/Blueorlandofish/

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks Guys

Lake County , Mike :mrgreen:

Attachments

• Tin Boat Project 001.jpg
    Tin Boat Project 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,664
Be careful that front deck is gonna be way to high, only have it go to the the top of the boat at its maximum height. It still may be a tad unstable up there.

Thanks for the thoughts Troutman... Yeah i guess in my drawing it is a little too high huh?? Just don't see many people sitting there so I figured why not turn it into some sort of storage area :) I'm stoked about the build out so if u have any other advice keep it coming...

Take Care,
Lake County Mike

Thanks Nat, yeah it was a buddy's of mine and seems to be well maintained so I'm hoping for a clean rebuild. Wish me luck :)

Yeah Brad I'm still feeling a little sketchy about the floor. I'm not sure if I should raise it high enough to have compartments or just insulate it to dampen sound and leave it be??? Any thoughts. I def don't want to be swimming instead of fishing

I'll be straight forward with you, any decking much higher than the ribs on the floor is just plain unsafe. But if you put some plywood on the floor, you'll be stable enough to at least stand up. Look at my 1432 mod for ideas.

safety >storage areas

Thanks Froggy And DyeGuy, Truthfully I've been looking at your two boats for the most inspiration also Buffords... You guys did an awesome job =D>

I'm going to take the advice and just sub out the floor and leave it close to the ribs.

How do u guys feel about the styrofoam insulated 4'x8' sheets u can get at Lowes or Home Depot?? What would be a decent sized thickness?? 1/2" or 1" then deck over in with what 3/4"ply or u think 1/2 would be suffcient??

Thanks Guys,

Lake County Mike

I got some decent pictures in mine that I did with the floor. I used the 2" builders foam under all my decks and cut it around the ribs for a very secure fit.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12198

We must think alike :) I had thoughts of that in my mind just wasn't sure if the cut outs over the ribs would crack under the pressure of the wood laying on top of it??

Can u pickup 2" builders foam at a home improvement store??

Blueorlandofish said:
We must think alike :) I had thoughts of that in my mind just wasn't sure if the cut outs over the ribs would crack under the pressure of the wood laying on top of it??

Can u pickup 2" builders foam at a home improvement store??

Yes, its like 24 bux a sheet but you should only need one. I used 2 X 2 screwed to the benches to attach my decks to. It turned out very stable.

blueorlandofish,

I agree with what's been said about keeping the decks low, and welcome to TinBoats. Looks like a great little boat that's in great shape.

Brine

Thanks for the advice guys and the welcome you guys are awesome!! I'm getting trigger happy now on starting the build out. Hopefully I'll have some time this week to start picking up some materials.

Next step will be figuring out what sized trolling motor to pick out. It'll have to be transom mount for now cause I can't find any good deals right now on motors.

Any thoughts on that??

Lake County Mike

Troutman3000 said:
Be careful that front deck is gonna be way to high, only have it go to the the top of the boat at its maximum height. It still may be a tad unstable up there.
mine is a 1432 just seats on the bench was the only way i got mine to run stright
and true; But you would call it a skinny :wink: up is down and down is up

Hey whats up guys!!?? I haven"t been on recently been crazy busy with work and all it's joys and vigors takes up so much time....think it's time to become a bass fisherman lol

Anyways I finally have a day off and decided to start on the flooring for the boat heres what i have so far.

https://s802.photobucket.com/albums/yy304/Blueorlandofish/Round%201%20on%20the%20flooring/

I cheated and used some old sign material i had that was 1/2" thick. it's stronger then u would think. I double layered it to just barely get it over the ribs. Next stop to Lowes this afternoon to get the carpet and wood I need....Woohoo!! lol. Take care gentlemen

Mike

Attachments

• CIMG8855.JPG
    CIMG8855.JPG
    742.4 KB · Views: 905
Are you using plasticore for your deck? That's what it looks like in the photobucket images anyway. It will be interesting to see how it turns out as a decking material. Is that 10mm material? What type of additional support are you using under it? It isn't much for load bearing on the planar surface, but it does form strong multi-plane objects. If it is PVC you can rent a PVC welder, basically a high powered hot air gun with a PVC rod feeder, and weld it. 4200 and 5200 also stick to it pretty well. Are you going this route due to weight or cost? If it is due to weight have you looked Sintra; it is an expanded PVC board (as opposed to corrugated for plasticore) with a little better specs than plasticore, although it is heavier than plasticore. Sintra is more expensive but it has much better planer load bearing specs than plasticore.