My 1962 12foot Valco Build/Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gborrillo

Reaction score
Greetings all,

First time poster - new member - love this site ! Recently purchased a 12 foot valco boat and looking to make some minor modifications to it based on what I have seen on this awesome site. I will try and post pictures along the way in the hopes of getting feedback and input as to where I am screwing up. I have taken it out on the water already and it runs well with a 9.9 Honda outboard. My plan is to not go overboard with the modifications, but I would like to see if I can do the following:

1. Add a flat center floor, possibly removing part of the center bench. (I am not sure whether I should remove part of it or not as I have seen several posts by members saying this affects the structural integrity of the boat) For now, simply adding a flat floor before and after the center bench is the plan.

2. adding a small casting deck, very simiilar to what this great poster did. https://208.131.146.117/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18442

3. Painting exterior - black and gray/silver . Will start out by cleaning, then applying zinc chromate. Then some Dupont Automotive spray. Then some type of coating to top off - not sure what to do here, if anything.

4. Re-carpet interior based on flooring added.

5. Tidy up wiring for stereo/finder/lights.

6. Add a minnkota endura 30 to bow, which I already have from previous inflatable boat.

The boat came with a Honda 9.9 motor which is currently getting de-winterized. All in all, I got a great deal on Craigslist. This is my first boat, by no means am I an expert - merely a beginning enthusiast. My carpentry skills are advanced-beginner at best, but I am a fast learner and avid researcher. Hoping to minimize the mistakes along the way and have a bit of fun in the process as well. Here are some pics, before doing anything except cleaning and starting to add a coat of zinc chromate (green- thats all they had). Thanks and hope to get some good critiques along the way. (I will be removing the boat off the trailer tonight so I can paint- just had to wheel it inside cus of the rain. )

Attachments

• BOAT1.jpg
    BOAT1.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 779
  • BOAT2.jpg
    BOAT2.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 779
  • BOAT3.jpg
    BOAT3.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 779
  • BOAT4.jpg
    BOAT4.jpg