My Custom Fishing Machine 18'-0" Flat Bottom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good,I bet she slides off real easy now.
Is that PVC board hollow ish or porice or is it solid?

Zum said:
Looks good,I bet she slides off real easy now.
Is that PVC board hollow ish or porice or is it solid?

I'm also interested in hearing how unloading goes. Looking for something that will let my boat just slide off in shallower ramp situations.

Zum: The material is solid all the way through.

Ictalurus: It was not my intent to have the pvc on the bunks to aid in unloading the boat, I wanted a barrier between the carpet or bare treated lumber against the bottom of the hull. As you can probably tell this boat is heavier than most aluminum boats. The first time I launched it with the pvc boards on, I let some slack out of the winch strap but kept it connected to the boat, the ramps where I usually launch at aren't very steep, but I wasn't sure if the boat would take off and fall off the trailer on the incline of the ramp. On one particular ramp it was no problem, another that was a little steeper it wasn't till the boat was actually floating a bit before it took off, it was o.k. then because I was already in the water. Does this make sense? When I had the carpet, the boat would stay on the trailer until the trailer was fully submerged then just simply float off, with the pvc boards I'll continue to keep the strap on till I'm a bit in the water it's not that big of a deal to undo it then. Sure beats looking like a fool if it slides right off the trailer. I guess, to answer your question, yes the pvc boards will let your boat slide off easier, but be careful.

Rock Crusher: I am glad you like my boat, thanx for the compliment. This boat truly works well for the type of fishing I do, I get a lot of pleasure from it. Thanx again.

Beautiful work man, Nice to see another person on here using the 100 series spool gun. How are those flotation pods treating you? did you have an oportunity to do a before and after senario? just wondering what you may have found. I have a 21 ft in progress build in my sig. Havn't done near the quality of fab work that you did but I really apperciate the work you have done. It looks just awesome!

Flat Bottom: Thanx for the compliment. The float pods work great, I really like the way the boat handles. I did not get to run the boat without the pods as I installed them from the get go when I bought it from my buddys dad. So I cant do a comparison as to with and without. My main concern was to get extra flotation to hold the weight of the 80hp Merc.

Your rig has come along nicely also, keep up the good work.

Thanx again.

I found (I think) the same type pvc board you used seriously thinking of trying that instead of what I was thinking.I should just go with what you said already but just checking to see that your still happy...it's wearing good;seamed alittle "light"/weigh?Was there a smooth side to yours,the peice I seen had like a ruff side just wondering how much it will scratch.I can only buy it 18' lengths,$43 up here,think the brand was Koma.

Zum: I haven't used the boat since the last post. So I havent put the pvc strips through any more abuse to see how well they hold up. I really dont think there will be a problem with them, as I stated in a earlier post, if my boat doesn't wear them out I don't think most of the ones here would, as my is probably heavier than most.
As long as you use a 2x4 underneath the pvc I believe it should be plenty strong. All they are really doing is holding the dead weight of the boat on top of them, with very little of it actually being dragged on, I mean no one is going to drag the whole weight of the boat on them anyway, most boats will float all the way up to the winch post on the trailer when loading. This is just my opinion and only time will tell on how durable they are, I will keep tabs on how the hold up and let everyone know. I use my boat quite often so I will be putting them to the test.

In answer to your 2nd question, yes there was a rough or "wood grain" side, remember these were intended to be used on a house or shed and simulate wood. I put the smooth side up. I dont know the brand name but there is a link in my previous post to the Lowes site where they are.

Let me know how it goes and good luck.

Poormans Boatright said:
I guess, to answer your question, yes the pvc boards will let your boat slide off easier, but be careful.

PMBR, thanks for the reply. I may check this out, I have the bunk slick sticks, four on each 5' bunk, but would like something a little slicker. I always keep my strap on until the boat is pushed into the water. I'd like to find something that will let me undo the strap and let the boat slide right off, keeping me from pushing the boat off the trailer. I thought that may work better than extending the trailer tongue or getting longer boards and moving the boat further back. My truck is 2 wheel drive and I will not put the rear wheels in the water. Ramps are concrete, but algae below the waterline can be a bear! Saw a guy spinnin' and spinnin' to get out one time, I could tell by the look on his face that the pucker factor was nearing 10! Thanks again.

Ictalurus: I don't why you should have to push the boat off the trailer? Are the ramps poorly designed where you launch? Heres what I do, when I get ready to enter the water I tie a length of rope to the front of the boat and the other end to my tow vehicles bumper. As I enter the water I mearley apply the brakes firm and the jolt of stopping the trailer the boat continues with momentum and floats off the trailer. I can then control the boat with the rope and tie it off to the pier. This way I can launch it by myself, but it helps to have a second person along. Also, I rarely have to put my rear tires into the water, only on a real low tide.

Some of the "ramps" I put in at theres 15' of water infront of my truck.
I fish out of the way lakes,not to many real ramps,lots of sled roads and "spots" to put a boat in.

Zum: Now I understand why you need something "slick" to get your boat off, those off the beaten path "ramps" can be challenging. O.K. back to the idea of the pvc boards, I think you would benefit from them. If you decide to go this route, let me know how it works out for you.

great build. its not often that i read twelve pages of a thread but your boat and skills are amazing. i have a sheet metal background (no where near the skills you have) and have some great ideas for my next project. (hopfully a 1448) but for now i am in a 12 ft sears

Good deal on the PVC bunks. I hope it works for you. Loading my boat is much more of a challenge than launching it as I'm under electric only power. The boat doesn't have the power to load up onto the bow stop with most of the ramps I use, and my bunks are mounted directly to the trailer crossmembers...... meaning I've lowered the bunks a few inches from what was stock on the trailer to aid in the process. Even with steelflex on the bottom, the boat takes a decent amount of torque on the winch for approximately 18 inches or so to get it seated correctly against the bow stop. The pvc may be a solution one day. I've read it's not a good idea to use it on riveted hulls, but that was for the shorter strips.

Does the boat stay put when you load it on the trailer, or have you noticed a tendancy for it to want to slide back off?

Joseph: Thank you for the compliment. Did you really read all 12 pages? lol ,I figured you would have got bored 1/2 way thru.

Brine:The boat appears to stay put on the trailer. I know what you mean by slicks on riveted hull, which is why my bunks are 16' long. nothing for the rivets to hang up on.

Poormans Boatright said:
Ictalurus: I don't why you should have to push the boat off the trailer? Are the ramps poorly designed where you launch? Heres what I do, when I get ready to enter the water I tie a length of rope to the front of the boat and the other end to my tow vehicles bumper. As I enter the water I mearley apply the brakes firm and the jolt of stopping the trailer the boat continues with momentum and floats off the trailer. I can then control the boat with the rope and tie it off to the pier. This way I can launch it by myself, but it helps to have a second person along. Also, I rarely have to put my rear tires into the water, only on a real low tide.

Don't really have to push it off the trailer, rather, just some hard nudging for a few feet. Some of the ramps don't have the steepest incline and when water is low it's hard to get enough water under the boat to "float" it off the trailer without submerging my truck. I'm also with Brine on the loading issue, thought the PVC would also reduce hull stress from winching.

Ictalurus: I see you and Brines issue now, I was thinking yall were launching at a good concrete ramp (like I use). I think you would benefit with the pvc. If you go this route, let me know how it works out for you.

I work nights in the military and don't do anything till 6am usually so I have a lot of free time. And its a good read if you like Modding boats

Latest posts