My jet Jon build thread

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you line the inside of that engine cowling with flame retardant soundproof foam, it will make a world of difference. There's an egg crate foam available from mcmaster-carr, very light weight, and very effective at reducing noise under the cowling.

This is how I have my boat set up, and to give you an idea of how quiet it is, when it's approaching, you cannot hear it, until it's about 100 ft away. Once I've gone past, the sound disappears once I'm about 500 ft away. That's very quiet, considering the average outboard motor traveling at speed can be heard at roughly 1/2 a mile.

0a71374b077787dde80d027814f24b29.jpg

Laid some epoxy resin tonight. Progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pump test fit.

64bb03c8830b81709649c4f56f22dae7.jpg

All of the resin work is done as of today. What do I paint the bottom with?

Working through that rear bench must have been hard!

Looks very strong & stiff.

I got some jon boat paint (I think Krylon brand) at Wally's & it matched pretty close. Seemed to hold up well. Was under $5.

It was actually really easy to cut the seat out. I didn't want to remove it completely because of strength. Need to figure out seating and steering next

I made mockup seat & controls, but still had to move them around some after hard building.

Ergonomics is really important when your running it for a hour at a time.

Looking good Man, Just throw some Rhino Liner on that Bad Boy and call it a day. :lol:

Got the bottom buttoned up today so far. I will be dropping in the motor and electronics soon.

96de9d85b376815c51650c3d51028591.jpg

Looks great. Rebuild carb if you haven't already. Rhino line for sure I didn't on a little one I built like that and in hind sight i absolutely would have. The 650 may have you thinking about going bigger but that 650 is a good motor I'd run it until the crank goes out then get another motor 650,701,760 they'll fit right in with only slight changes. Also if its already been discussed my bad but get a ss impeller I broke the aluminum in about 2 hours of riding shallow. The rocks knocked the blades off once I put a ss on I ran it for over a year with only the leading edge getting a little dinged.

I'm not sure what this is gonna be like in the water yet. The engine sits kinda far forward so seating will be a challenge.

Itll be fine just have to straddle it with your feet. Are you going to leave that oil hole off the stator cover open or cover it?

amk said:
Itll be fine just have to straddle it with your feet. Are you going to leave that oil hole off the stator cover open or cover it?

+1

A high seating position helps you see into the water for rocks & shallows.

Maybe just use the seat for the donor ski.

amk said:

That's not an oil hole. It's where the oil pump was mounted. I'll make a block off plate to cover it.

I'm thinking box off the engine and sit on the front of that. I need to mock up some stuff to see how it all fits together though.

Lol that's what I meant I've had four of them and removed every oiler from everyone. Maybe it's because I live closer to the salt air but if you leave it open too long you'll start to get rust on your flywheel.

Yea. I've seen people think that they need to put oil in the flywheel area. That makes a pretty good mess. This isn't my first rodeo though. Here's my usual ride during the summer:

5f0ee9ea584442f75041bfacde6ea5dd.jpg

I sit behind and straddle my engine with my legs, people always ask me about it getting hot, it only gets warm.

Attachments

• IMG_20151016_131637224.JPG
    IMG_20151016_131637224.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 2,211