Mystery Parts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
Well, a mystery to me. Probably not to the old salts among us.

I have several of the metal brackets mounted on the inner gunnels. The plastic piece is near the throttle controls, in a cubby that runs along the side. Looks like maybe it opens up?

Attachments

• Mystery Part 01.jpg
    Mystery Part 01.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2
  • Mystery Part 02.jpg
    Mystery Part 02.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0
  • Mystery Part 03.jpg
    Mystery Part 03.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
The second one looks like it could be a remote gas tank vent. Is there a hose hooked up to te back side?

I had a 14ft Grumman that the former owner used for crabbing, he had those stainless slotted holders all over the boat, some had single rod tubes, a few had triple rod tubes and there was also a buoy holder that slid into them, all with the same wedge shaped base to fit those brackets.
I removed them after the first few trips because they would get caught on things at the worst times and the rod holders were sharp and always in the way. Mine were mounted on the inside rear edge of the splash well and all around the gunwales on the sides. They weren't cheap to buy, at least not the good American made version, but having lots of sharp edged metal brackets around where you fishing was just not a good idea. I removed them from my boat and a buddy grabbed them for his 20ft fiberglass boat and thought they were great.

The round black things look like maybe a base for or mount for something, possible to hold up a tarp, or hold something in place?
They look familiar, I seem to remember one boat I had coming with a pair of those on the inner sides of the gunwales. I didn't have a use for them so I didn't put them back after rebuilding the deck and interior.
I also had a cooler that came with one boat I bought about 20 years ago, the cooler was similar to a Yeti but it had what looked like cup holders on the bottom, two rows of three, each pair equally spaced. I just figured it was part of the structure for some reason. Then I found what looked like hollow hockey pucks with a bag of screws in one of the storage compartments. Turns out the hockey pucks were supposed to be secured to the deck to locate and secure the cooler. Figuring the discs would be a trip hazard and like the last owner, never mounted them.

Interesting! Think there are 4 metal brackets, maybe two, pretty much across from each other. I could see them being for rod holders as suggested, or maybe part of the original top? There are though two long pieces of aluminum running on the inside of the gunnels with nylon slides in them that look to be sufficient for that.

The round plastic piece resides in a long cubby hole that runs the length of the rear section of boat along the starboard side. It is tucked down inside where it's really not too accessible. It could be some type of vent maybe, but doesn't look like it really. Agree it looks a bit like a filler for the gas tank, but boat has portable tank in the back and this thing is several feet forward. So don't think it could work for that. I get the feeling it's been added on, but that's just a guess.

I'll probably end up removing the brackets since they seem sort of useless, but the plastic round thing is puzzling. Guess need to take it off and see what's under it.......next year. They're talking about snow tonight..... :-(

Last edited:
If it never had an enclosed tank, it is not a vent.

It looks similar to the vent on my pontoon boat.

Attachments

• IMG_7645.jpeg
    IMG_7645.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts