Need help 40hp mercury

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I decided to do everything myself. Seemed to workout OK. Motor runs pretty well. Has good water pressure. Now I seem to have screwed my reverse gear somehow. It goes into forward and neutral fine. It will pick up reverse, but it pops alot and it just doesn't feel right on the throttle like forward does. I also can't seem to find the adjustment for it. The rod I can see down near the foot, just seems to spin, no up or down motion. Could someone please explain?View attachment 1View attachment 2

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1461004090153.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1461004090153.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 326
  • uploadfromtaptalk1461004174171.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1461004174171.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 326
  • uploadfromtaptalk1461004207816.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1461004207816.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 326
sounds like your clutch dog or reverse gear is worn out, or at least out of adjustment.

the clutch dogis a piece that rides on the prop shaft between forward and reverse gears. When you put it in forward the dog slides one way and engages the gear with tabs on the dog. Go into reverse it slides the other way to engage reverse. There are tabs on both sides of the dog and on the inside of forward and reverse gear.

You know how When you go from neutral into gear, if you don't do it with a firm smart shift you hear a ratcheting noise? That's the clutch dog slipping on the gear and wearing it down like a tooth.

After a while these edges get rounded and it just cant hold under load.

there may be a linkage adjustment, or it just might be worn out

There should be some adjustment on the end of your cables. You might try removing the cable and putting it into reverse by hand and see if that works.

Latest posts