Need help with my framing.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcalla

Reaction score
I secured my aluminum tube yesterday. I bought ~75' of 1" square tube for $2/ft. I also bought some angle that I will make into brackets. I am thinking I'll at least get the front deck done with some left over for the rear. I started to lay out the tube to get an overall feel of how it's going to go together. When I was laying the "stringers" from the bow, I noticed a little problem. Since my front factory deck is kind of beat up and angled, I'm having a hard time coming up with a plan to get the stringers mounted. I have a plan that I think will work, but if any of you can let me know how you'd do it, it will be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get other eyes on it, maybe the solution is simple and I just don't see it. Thanks.

EDIT: It looks like the stringers are touching the rear of the factory deck, but they are not.

I'd lay a wrap of 1" or 1.25" angle around the top of the damaged area, shim the low sections and mount your deck to that. You lose 2-3" of deck height but gain stability and ease of install. For the areas around your ribs, angle cut the square tube and use flat stock as tabs to screw them to the rib structure. You'll still need risers from the floor to the framework which is simple enough if you keep your framing at the ribs.

Square tube is a PITA to work with, don't bolt through both sides of the tube or it'll compress and come loose.

Use a piece of angle on both sides of the tube. Bolt it to the bottom and through the angle/tube. Use stainless steel screws with self locking nuts.