Need wise advise on purchase of new 25hp outboard w/tiller

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kdgrills said:
nccatfisher said:
Well here is mine with a service activation date of 5/05/17 show me the clamps

Hmm.

Just curious, is that an F25 or T25?
F25LEHB according to the BOS and owners card. And for the record they have the same bolt pattern as a 40. If you notice they won't bolt up to a CMC PT 35 T&T without making an adapter plate you can see the top bolt from the motor sticking through the adapter. I verified that with CMC before ordering. I have since installed two others on boats since.

nccatfisher said:
kdgrills said:
nccatfisher said:
Well here is mine with a service activation date of 5/05/17 show me the clamps

Hmm.

Just curious, is that an F25 or T25?
F25LEHB according to the BOS and owners card. And for the record they have the same bolt pattern as a 40. If you notice they won't bolt up to a CMC PT 35 T&T without making an adapter plate you can see the top bolt from the motor sticking through the adapter. I verified that with CMC before ordering. I have since installed two others on boats since.

Not being argumentative, just seems odd to me. Yours doesn't appear to have the pull start through the cowl either.

Sorry for the derail.

my etec can be rope started if you take the flywheel cover off.not sure about others.my tohatsu came with pull and electric start,and didn't need a battery to run.

I believe catfisher has the 2016 f25 which is too heavy to be considered portable hence no clamps.
The 2017 f25 comes with clamps and a pull start and is fuel injected.Not sure what bolt pattern the new motor has or how it would work with a CMC unit??
Mw

Hey fellas, Back to the original question I had...Any reason you guys would steer clear of a 25 or 30 hp Suzuki...What is their reputation?

nccatfisher said:
His point is that they don't have clamps anymore on motors around 25 HP, it will kinda make it hard to take the motor on and off every time you use it installing bolts through the transom.

all of the Suzuki's have clamps...

https://onlineoutboards.com/suzuki-25-hp-outboards.html

Davey1965 said:
Hey fellas, Back to the original question I had...Any reason you guys would steer clear of a 25 or 30 hp Suzuki...What is their reputation?
Their or were excellent engines. Very strong. I haven't messed with a new one. But the older ones couldn't be beat HP to HP.

Davey1965 said:

I'd have no problem putting one on my boat.
I went Yamaha because of local dealer support, it's slightly lighter, & I like the multifunction tiller.
Downside is it's only 2 cylinder & less displacement, my rig is pretty light though.

I'd do the 30 'zuke over the 25, they share the same block.
30 is only available in long shaft though.

i'd make dealer support my #1 priority.around my area it's merc,yamaha,evinrude then tohatsu.i think i have 1 dealer of suzuki anywhere near me and i'm not even sure if they service them,it's a bike dealer.i'd hate to be a few hundred miles from home and have my engine croak and have to cut my trip short for lack of service.merc , evinrude and yammi are everywhere.no waiting for parts.i've needed emergency service twice,both were 25 year old evinrudes.turn around was 1 day on both of them.never a problem with my yammi or my tohatsu.

Davey1965 said:
I'll take a Suzuki over an Etec

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I decided to buy the 30hp Suzuki...onlineoutboards...long shaft, tilt/trim, elec & rope start....Tiller...$4700..should get it in several days. We'll see...Caught several 12" crappie yesterday...to be eaten soon...cracker crumbs and 400F oil in the garage....makes my wife nervous..

Davey1965 said:
I decided to buy the 30hp Suzuki...onlineoutboards...long shaft, tilt/trim, elec & rope start....Tiller...$4700..should get it in several days. We'll see...Caught several 12" crappie yesterday...to be eaten soon...cracker crumbs and 400F oil in the garage....makes my wife nervous..

I've been looking at that particular motor as well. Please keep us posted.

Interested how you like it as well. My boats able to handle a 60hp console or 35hp tiller, I currently run an old 30hp Mariner,I get somewhere around 27mph, which is plenty on the smallish lakes we have here.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Ok , I bought a 30 hp Suzuki tiller,long shaft, elec start, power trim.. from online outboards.com....transaction went smooth and I had the motor about 8 days later....it was packaged in its original crate from the factory in Thailand...I used my deer hoist to lift it and my son helped guide it onto the transom...haven't started it yet. It looks perfect showroom new...cost $4700.00.

Davey1965 said:
...Caught several 12" crappie yesterday...to be eaten soon...cracker crumbs and 400F oil in the garage....makes my wife nervous..

You will need a UL 300 compliant extinguishing system in your garage. :LOL2:

Congrats on the new outboard. I look forward to hearing how it works for you.