New 1432 Jon- Help me with ideas!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arob8924

Reaction score
Hey all,

First time posting here. I just traded my 12 foot v hull for a 1432 Jon.
I'm planning on using it to fish and duck hunt a small river in the Willamette valley (Oregon).
I REALIZE that a 32" wide boat is not ideal, so please refrain from recommending I get a wider boat.
The slimmer body allows me to maneuver better and I like the smaller width for the low water levels in the summer. I have a 9.5 hp evinrude, and I have two swivel seats in addition to the (crappy) one mounted in the photo. I'm looking for help and ideas on how to improve this boat for my needs.. Here is the list, bring on the advice!
-painting properly (oil based? Spray on?)
-decking (what type plywood, how to seal?)
-whether to take out the middle seat or not
-stabilizing for standing in (while duck hunting/sitting position to standing)
-building a wooden gunnel for storage and accessories
-building a duck blind (I'm thinking scissor out of conduit)
-how/where to mount my swivel seats for two duck hunters
Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 783
Honestly everything you want to do and you justifications for not doing it are completely opposite. Makes sense?

48" bottom will displace less water and draft / plane shallower vs a 32". 48" bottom will allow you to Barbie the hull with accessories without the risk of sinking / tripping / tipping it over.

32" hull, paint it nice and make it a great starter boat for the next guy. Use it to get some practice and ideas for your ideal build. Buy your basic Barbie stuff so that you can transfer them into the 1448 or 1648 when you find one you can afford.

A 1432 is a lot better than a 1232 but it still isn't a long term hull if you plan on using it at least biweekly.

I agree with Ranchero, and I understand you need to stay 'skinny' to get where you want to go. I would add that raising your center of gravity has to be a bad thing, and removing the center seat may compromise the structural stability of the sides. Don't throw it away...you may want to put it back in. I have a 1436 jon and I DO NOT want to stand up in it!! Going over the side was a great relief from the heat here on the gulf coast. And we laughed and laughed!!!!! But it was a real booger trying to get back in! Now, that being said, I still think you should make the mods you want to make......you can always undo them.

Welcome, and basically, I agree with everything they ^ said, however you asked:

painting properly (oil based? Spray on?)

Your choice, mostly. Biggest deal is prepping the surface.

-decking (what type plywood, how to seal?)

I'd use 1/2" exterior, marine poly or spar varnish on it.

-whether to take out the middle seat or not

I know you want to, but if you do, make provisions for hull reinforcement. That's a long skinny, light boat. The stuff that is there is there for a purpose.

-stabilizing for standing in (while duck hunting/sitting position to standing)

Look at stabilizers, crab pot floats, 4" PVC tubes on pvc poles. Use "Search function here." Consider using rod holders to affix them to the hull. Easy out, easy in.

-building a wooden gunnel for storage and accessories

You may be better off just getting plastic tubs and clipping them to the hull.

-building a duck blind (I'm thinking scissor out of conduit)

Don't go to a great deal of trouble. Get a some 12' x 54" Mossy Oak burlap from Walmart, drape it over a couple of poles--or whatever support you want. A folding lawn chair will suffice sometimes. Keep in mind ducks look DOWN into the craft, so make provisions.

-how/where to mount my swivel seats for two duck hunters

At 32", I'd put them on existing seats. Your center of gravity in that boat is very sensitive.

Have fun, be safe.

Thanks for the responses! Rachero I do completely agree with you.
In no way is this a long term boat. I'm 23, and this will be my second year
Duck hunting. I'm not trying to build my dream boat, just do the most with what I have. I was planning on just using my 12' v-hull for hunting this year, but this Jon boat was available for trade so it was a slight step up then what I was going to do.

Today I did some work on the boat, I painted the whole interior, primed with self etching primer. I think it turned out pretty good. Also, the support ribs that cross the bottom of the boat are kindof annoying and are a tripping hazard. So I cut plywood to fit in between them for an even floor. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Tell me what you think

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 712
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 712
I also posted a picture of a bracket, ill attach 4 to the gunnel,
Run a pin through the sides and through my conduit, creating a scissor blind that can pivot and fold down.
Ill also drill holes at like 3" intervals in the vertical section of the scissor blind so I can pin it in different angles to adjust for differing situations. I can also pin it so I am covered with a roof and lower the other side for better concealment. Ill try and draw it up. I've never seen anyone do it this way but it seems like a great way to make it adjustable. What do y'all think?

Like this, so I can hunt from a seated position, and still be concealed above. Ill close the gap with grasses also. Has anyone tried this method?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 711
Looks good. I wonder how hard it would be to go recliner style like the old marsh skiffs that one guy could lay in wait?

If it was me, i would fix it up, decks front and rear, resting on existing benches, (for stability), if your gonna fish with it, make a removable frame for a blind out of pvc. Maybe add some lighting, storage, and add your navigation lights. Inexpensive, and when your done, you get on craigslist, and offer your boat for a bigger one thats not fixed up. You do that enough times, and you end up with some good stuff...it just takes a little investment for materials, and your time. I done several this way, also did this with motorcycles and ATVs. If you do it right, itll be worth it. Good luck.