new 4s vs 2s

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice rig!!well..i said f-it and just got the 60/40 merc..the deal was to good to pass up.besides the majority of places i go,i think a whole lot faster than 30 might be sketchy!..ill post pics of my new rig when i pick it up in april.the dealer assured me that 30 was doable with that engine...so,well see...lol..i plan on installing a 24 volt terrova,so hopefully that wont weigh it down to much.

hanker71 said:
nice rig!!well..i said f-it and just got the 60/40 merc..the deal was to good to pass up.besides the majority of places i go,i think a whole lot faster than 30 might be sketchy!..ill post pics of my new rig when i pick it up in april.the dealer assured me that 30 was doable with that engine...so,well see...lol..i plan on installing a 24 volt terrova,so hopefully that wont weigh it down to much.
I like my 60/40 just fine. Easy on fuel and way more affordable. Mine will do 33 all day long if I'm by myself. Have hit 31 with my entire family just boatriding on the current river minus trolling motor and battery. 30 is fast enough on the skinny rivers and if I ran only on unrestricted hp rivers and lakes I would have bigger motor. I just can't justify spending the extra money for what I do with mine. When the white bass get way up the river arms off these lakes, I can get to them and if I don't want to run far, I launch closer to where I want to fish. You will like the 18 footer. As you can see I run tiller and I want the longer boat, adds more weight up front to off set my big fat rear all the way in the back. I have extended front deck and I keep lots of stuff up front and it helps distribute the weight. Good luck and yes post pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just re read all of this thread, duh!!! You already have 18 footer. My bad.

Let us know what you think. I was hoping you'd go with the 60/40 etec. You just don't hear much about them. Probably because of the price and what seems to be a bad internet reputation. I'm convinced the Merc 60/40 four stroke is made by Yamaha. You never hear of anyone having engine trouble and the specs are identical.

So is your new boat going to have a 27" transom like the one you have now? I don't have one but I'm pretty sure the Mercury 60/40 is a 15" short shaft and would need a 20" transom. Unless you are doing a tunnel.

redrum said:
Let us know what you think. I was hoping you'd go with the 60/40 etec. You just don't hear much about them. Probably because of the price and what seems to be a bad internet reputation. I'm convinced the Merc 60/40 four stroke is made by Yamaha. You never hear of anyone having engine trouble and the specs are identical.

So is your new boat going to have a 27" transom like the one you have now? I don't have one but I'm pretty sure the Mercury 60/40 is a 15" short shaft and would need a 20" transom. Unless you are doing a tunnel.
You are correct, the mercury 60/40 is a short shaft.

the three cylinder etec 60 is way more cause it's just a detuned 90hp same block and specs as the 90hp. The two cyl 60/40 is the one more comparable to other 60/40 engines.

i spoke to the guy that im getting my boat from about the etec engines.he was curious as well,so he went ahead and bought a 60 horse.he told me that he wasnt impressed.he said that they rigged that motor on a identical blazer to his sons.at first his sons boat,which has a 60/40 merc and not a whole lot of stuff in the boat,would walk away from the etec.then he told me that they had to do some "stuff" to the etec and now it beats the merc powered boat by a little.he also told me that his sons 17-52 with that 60/40 merc will run 36.5 mph with just him in it.he then told me that the etec seemed to use alot of fuel!...in a nut shell..for what it cost,his words were that it wasnt "right"...so i trusted his experience and went merc...all this info came from a guy that races these little boats down in missouri...im super excited about this new boat!april cant get here soon enough!

hanker71 said:
i spoke to the guy that im getting my boat from about the etec engines.he was curious as well,so he went ahead and bought a 60 horse.he told me that he wasnt impressed.he said that they rigged that motor on a identical blazer to his sons.at first his sons boat,which has a 60/40 merc and not a whole lot of stuff in the boat,would walk away from the etec.then he told me that they had to do some "stuff" to the etec and now it beats the merc powered boat by a little.he also told me that his sons 17-52 with that 60/40 merc will run 36.5 mph with just him in it.he then told me that the etec seemed to use alot of fuel!...in a nut shell..for what it cost,his words were that it wasnt "right"...so i trusted his experience and went merc...all this info came from a guy that races these little boats down in missouri...im super excited about this new boat!april cant get here soon enough!
That guy in Missouri would not be GW Luttrel ? I live in Missouri where jets are popular. Blazers are made close to me, everyone has one it seems and there are tons of the mercury 60/40 here., the mercs just are the best bang for your buck in my opinion, easy on fuel as well. Went to the lake again today and really liking my new set up. Great to fish out of and fast enough. Post pics when u get it.

hanker71 said:

So sounds like the etec boat may have been rigged wrong if they did some stuff and it ran like hell. The new mercs are great engines, but it would about take hell freezing over to make me give up my carbed two stroke engines. Just out of curiosity do you know if this was a 2cyl 60 etec or the HO 3cyl etec. Also curious as to who did the work as well, and what they did to the etec to open it up.

im fairly certain that the etec that was compared to the 60/40 merc is the detuned 90 block.i remember him mentioning that in the conversation.he didnt specify what they had to do with it though.these guys race these things and im pretty sure they keep specifics under the cuff.the guys that told me this is vance from west boat shop.he and his son seem very knowledgeable on the subject,so after talking to a few different guys in that area of missouri,i went with them.