New boat need ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ekshyna

Reaction score
Just bought a new boat and want to convert it into a bass fishing boat.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 962
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 962
  • 20151227_135246.jpg
    20151227_135246.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 962
  • 20151227_135242.jpg
    20151227_135242.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 962
I'm just guessing that this is a 12' utility boat. If that is the case I'd leave it as-is for a number of reasons and the first one being that they don't have a very high load capacity and anything you add to it structurally is going to take away from that. I don't see a USCC capacity plate on it.

By the time you put a small outboard on it with a full fuel tank 2 people and all the fishing gear it's going to be loaded.

It also looks to be a very shallow hull with out a lot of freeboard. Last thing you want to do is to overload it and then get swamped.

Good advice from Bonz-d.

Any boat is a bass fishing boat. It's the fisherman, not the equipment, that makes the difference. Kayakers win many "all-boat" tournaments. They can't move very fast to new locations, but they manage to find and catch the fish.

I doubt that the items that you listed will overload your boat at all.

Go get 'em.

regards and welcome aboard, richg99

Ekshyna said:
Do you think seats, rod holders, and carpet will weigh too much?

What size/make outboard do you plan on using on this? W/O a capacity plate I would guess a 9.9hp max.

If you intend to keep that small deck in the bow it should be fine. Check out it's construction to assure it's sturdy and doesn't add a ton of weight. I would suggest using the 3/4" pin type bases in the seats with as short a pedestal as you can find if you want to sit a little higher while fishing. Rod holders, no problem. I would leave the carpet out and just repaint the bottom with an antiskid paint.

2 things to keep in mind with these small boats. 1; keep them as light as possible. 2; keep the weight or center of gravity as low as possible. These boats are not very wide and raising the CG makes them unstable.

Search around here or the web for a similar sized boat and you should get an idea of what the max hp. and load capacities are. Always error on the side of safety!

bonz_d said:
I'm just guessing that this is a 12' utility boat. If that is the case I'd leave it as-is for a number of reasons and the first one being that they don't have a very high load capacity and anything you add to it structurally is going to take away from that. I don't see a USCC capacity plate on it.

By the time you put a small outboard on it with a full fuel tank 2 people and all the fishing gear it's going to be loaded.

It also looks to be a very shallow hull with out a lot of freeboard. Last thing you want to do is to overload it and then get swamped.
This^^^How long and wide is the boat?

I wouldn't do too much to that boat except for basics. Seats, rod holders, and thin I/O carpet should be just fine, I would also suggest to just repaint the bottom with antiskid paint.
I'll agree that any boat can be a bass fishing boat, I wouldn't want too high a center of gravity though in any small boat.
Clamp on seat bases will work also, but if you use them MAKE SURE they are secured so they can't move.
I fished out of my 14' boat for years with secured clamp on bases, but went overboard into a river at night while fishing from a friends small boat which had a clamp on base that wasn't secured.

Latest posts