New guy monark conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I'm new here but have been reading info here for a long time. I would like to thanks everyone for all the great info and builds. They have given me some great ideas!

I'm starting to work on 15ft 80's model Mon Ark. My dad and I fished with this boat alot when i was younger and he finally decided he wasn't going to use it much anymore and told me he was going to sell it unless i wanted it. You can probably guess i jumped on it. Its not in that bad of shape now, you could fish out of it now but i want to start over with it. This boat used to have a side console in it they we got rid of several years ago. It was more in the way than anything. We also took out the plywood floors and scored on some free diamond plate to replace it. Thats about as far as we made it. I would like to get your guys input on alot of this just to see what you would do. I've already taken the seats and flooring out of it b/c i'm going to paint/ steelflex it first before i do anything else. Here is a few pics of it to show you what i'm working with first.

monark1.jpg

monark2.jpg

The first thing i would like to do is get rid of the blue paint and carpet. Can't stand the color. First question is what is the best way to prep this for paint? Sand all the old paint off or is there some kind of stripper i can use to take off the old paint? I know i'm gonna have to primer the boat before paint just wasn't sure of the best way to take off the old paint.

Next question- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using steel flex. I'm not real sure if i want to steel flex it or just paint it. I plan on going with a dark green color.

I'm also going to paint the motor and was going to see what paint to use for the motor. Didn't think a blue motor on a green boat would look too good.

I will stop there for now but i want to get some input from yall on some other stuff i would like to change. Thanks for everyones help!

Looks like a good project. Do you plan on keeping the same layout (stick steer)?

Personally I'd strip the hull down (side wood and decking) and run it on the water to see if you have any leakers. No leaks then just strip it with aircraft stripper and saran wrap (search it) to remove the old paint. Water wash it and scrub it then let it sit for a couple weeks before prepping it for paint so the stripper in the cracks and crevices dries out (otherwise your new paint gets buggered)

Look like fun and should bring back some memories. Dad had one too with a 20hp Evenrude stick steer back in the day.
Jamie

I live oven cleaner for stripping paint. After you strip the paint , take it to a car wash or use a pressure washer and get all the stripper off. I like the stick steer and always wanted one. Good luck It's a nice boat. Todd

Thanks for the reply's! I know for a fact i have 1 leak in the front from where a sheet metal screw went to deep. I guess i could drill it out then put a rivet in and steel flex over it, if i use steel flex.

But yes i do plan on keeping the stick steering but i would like to find some other bracket to house the steering pole other than the one we rigged up. lol

The main problem i have with this boat is the livewells, and no place for battery's and gas tank. In the picture above the box under the seats are the livewells. I guess they are ok but never cared much for them. This is a picture of the back seat where the battery and gas tank are supposed to go.
monark3.jpg

A gas tank and battery will fit back there but it gets kinda tight for the person sitting in the back. I thought about moving the back seat up about 6 more inches and then making a storage area for the tank and battery so it isn't visible. I will take another picture with the battery and tank back there for a better idea. Then the other problem is i don't have a place for my trolling motor battery. When my dad had the boat he rewired it for the trolling battery to be up front. Which is understandable because you can't fit 2 batterys and a gas tank in the back and that is just too much weight in the back of the boat. Well he would just sit the battery in the floor which i don't care much for. I thought about putting it in the storage area but not real sure if it will fit. I would like yours guys input on any of this. I'm up for any ideas.
monark4.jpg

Thanks

Adam

Adam,

I have some answers for you in red in the quote below.

adam said:
Hey Guys

Howdy, welcome to the forum.

The first thing i would like to do is get rid of the blue paint and carpet. Can't stand the color. First question is what is the best way to prep this for paint? Sand all the old paint off or is there some kind of stripper i can use to take off the old paint?

Aircraft stripper will help a great deal to get rid of the old paint. You can find it at your local auto parts store (Autozone, etc.) and at Walmart. I have detailed pictures of removing the old paint and old carpet in my resto. See the link in my signature.

I know i'm gonna have to primer the boat before paint just wasn't sure of the best way to take off the old paint.

Make sure to use etching primer. Clean the stripper you use off, let it dry good, sand a bit, then use the etching primer. You can find this in the automotive section of Walmart (rattle cans) for about as cheap as you can anywhere. Check my resto for the advice I received on prep as well. Good advice there from those that have been there, done that. Ranchero above has real good advice on prepping the boat I think..

Next question- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using steel flex. I'm not real sure if i want to steel flex it or just paint it. I plan on going with a dark green color.

Everything you want to know about steelflex in this link:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11977

I'm also going to paint the motor and was going to see what paint to use for the motor. Didn't think a blue motor on a green boat would look too good.

On the motor, if the paint on it is in good shape, just lightly sand the rough spots off and scuff up the current paint, then use some zinc chromate primer (If you have bare aluminum spots.) and then paint in the color you want. If the paint is in bad shape, you'll need to strip it down to bare metal.

I hope this helps.

Adam,

Some more suggestions in red in the quote below.

adam said:
Thanks for the reply's! I know for a fact i have 1 leak in the front from where a sheet metal screw went to deep. I guess i could drill it out then put a rivet in and steel flex over it, if i use steel flex.

Don't rule out having that hole welded as well, especially if you float or leak test the boat and find you have other leaks. I would leak test the boat for sure to make sure of what I had. Remove your floor decking so you can see what's going on below. If you have several small repairs, a welding job would be worth it. There are other options to be found on this board, including various epoxy-type putties, rivets, and welding. Do a search for leak repair and see what you come up with.

But yes i do plan on keeping the stick steering but i would like to find some other bracket to house the steering pole other than the one we rigged up. lol

Looking at the side bulkheads, I think you may be able to integrate the bracket you have further into the side bulkhead where it's at as well as running the cable through the bulkhead instead of having it exposed. You could also "hide" it a bit by using some teak or mahogany to dress it and your motor control up.

You may also find an opportunity to increase storage space in those side bulkheads. I'd certainly investigate that possibility while you're in the resto mode.

The main problem i have with this boat is the livewells, and no place for battery's and gas tank. In the picture above the box under the seats are the livewells. I guess they are ok but never cared much for them. This is a picture of the back seat where the battery and gas tank are supposed to go. A gas tank and battery will fit back there but it gets kinda tight for the person sitting in the back. I thought about moving the back seat up about 6 more inches and then making a storage area for the tank and battery so it isn't visible.

I think you would be well served doing this option. Move the seat forward, but just build a bracket for the gas tank with a strap down. Makes things clean and stable. Other options below.

I will take another picture with the battery and tank back there for a better idea. Then the other problem is i don't have a place for my trolling motor battery. When my dad had the boat he rewired it for the trolling battery to be up front. Which is understandable because you can't fit 2 batterys and a gas tank in the back and that is just too much weight in the back of the boat. Well he would just sit the battery in the floor which i don't care much for. I thought about putting it in the storage area but not real sure if it will fit. I would like yours guys input on any of this. I'm up for any ideas.

I'm thinking keeping the batteries under the front seat would be a good idea, but add aluminum bracketing and install tie downs to keep the batteries stable inside the seat. If the seat isn't sealed, add gaskets around the lid. Clean up the wiring using available fittings. Do a little research on the net to find parts that fit your application and space well.

Other options on the rear seat/gas storage:

1. Move the rear seat forward, but add a enclosed space with a lid to store the gas tank in. Be sure and add gas fume venting if you choose this option.

2. Eliminate the rear seat and install a "bench" type seat/deck for the rear of the boat. This will allow you to store the gas tank underneath the bench as well as gain a bit of floor space. Again, make sure and leave room for venting the gas fumes.

A couple of options on livewells:

1. Mount a live well in the center of the floor and running lengthwise between the front and rear seats. It can be:
A. A cooler type livewell with a padded seat or cup holders, etc on it's lid/top. Use an ocean going igloo for maximum size. Build a mounting bracket to place the cooler in and use bungees or straps to stabilize it.
B. A built in welded aluminum live well. Again, build a bracket, but rivet it in.
2. Use only one livewell and use a bait well to keep your live bait if you use a lot of live bait/minnows. The oval shape and insulation the baitwells have can really increase bait life.

Here is what I would do if I had that boat:

1. I'd add a rear deck/seat/storage area and eliminate the back seat. Make it just deep enough stern to aft that you have room for a seat and gas tank storage.

2. Place the batteries inside the front seat using bracketing and tie down straps.

3. With the floor space gained from moving the rear seat over the gas tank and integrating the stick steer into the side bulkhead, I'd place a single livewell in the center of the boat between the seats. I'd likely use an igloo cooler so I could remove it for cleaning. I'd make it fairly large, but leave room for both a bait well and room for both front and rear seat leg/foot space.

4. I'd investigate adding storage into the side bulkheads to eliminate any tackle boxes on deck. In other words, I'd find a place to keep those "small parts" box type tackle boxes in those walls and get a tackle box out of my floor. Same thing with any thing else I had on the floor I felt I could "stow away." Make some creative storage to eliminate stuff on the floor, including rod storage.
Hope these help.

Dave, Thanks for the reply! Lots of good information there.

I've got everything out of the boat now i just haven't added pics. I took out the seats, flooring, ripped out the old carpeting, and got all the trash out. The only visible damage i saw was the one hole i mentioned in the very front. Once i get that hole fixed i'm going to leak test the boat.

From reading other posts i think i've decided to just steelflex the bottom of the boat and paint the rest along with the motor. As far as other mods go, I think using my bulkheads for storage is out of the question. I will have to mesaure for sure but at the deepest part at the bottom they are only about 6 inches deep and taper going up. I just don't see alot of storage oppurtunity there. I could be wrong though.

I agree with you on the back of the boat for the gas tank and storage. I will probably just build some kind of deck that will house possibly 1 battery, gas tank, possibly a storage box and the rear seat. I'm also considering making a bench for the drivers seat as well to house another battery and some stoarge. I will try to take an overhead picture and edit what i want it to look like so yall kinda get an idea of what i'm talking about.

I'm just not a fan of a cooler in the middle of the floor. This boat used to have a side console with a cooler as the driver seat and it just seemed to be in the way more than it helped. I may just take a cooler with me to keep the fish in. I don't really need a livewell for the fish but the boat is already plumbed for 2. I'm still kinda up in the air for the livewells.

But thanks for all of you reply's. I will get some pics up later this weekend to give you a better idea of what i'm working with.

Latest posts