New Guy, New Boat!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
www.USPlastic.com

I glued the corners together with std. PVC cement like you would use on plumbing pipe (the sheets and angle are the same plastic as Sch. 40 pipe.) That's why I added the angle to the outside to reinforce - it gave me a shaped area to apply a generous amount of glue to be sure there were no leaks.

I glued several squares of scrap left over from making the box in a stack to the bottom to give me enough thickness to drill out with a spade bit, thread and glue in a threaded 3/4" threaded/barbed 90 deg. fitting to use a drain.

I haven't installed the tank yet - but when I do it will have 1/2" extruded polystyrene board cut to fit around it to support the relatively flexible sidewall material and insulate it at the same time. My plan is to cut down into the top of the rear bench seat, cut away the foam to make room, and attach flat aluminum to make ribs across the bottom of the bench seat to tie the front face to the rear and support the bottom of the livewell (probably a strap every 8" or so). I will bore through the rearward facing side of the bench to install the overflow and aerator fittings. I'm keeping it simple - I'll pump in fresh water at one end of the tank and let it spill out the overflow at the other and drain out the back of the boat so there's new water cycling through constantly. Should help with the temperature regulation too.

https://tempress.com/

I just received my live well insert and slam lid the other day, I am very impressed with the thickness of the live well. They market them and dry/wet storage and If you use their lid it is the exact shape and seals tight. I think I spent about $150 not including the pumps and fittings. I am going to mount it in the middle seat of my jon.

Check it: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35122

Yup - I've got a 1323 cam lid for my front compartment, a pair of 1115's for either end of the livewell, and i just ordered a 1330 for the battery compartment I never planned on making (need to hide 2 deep cycle batteries that will power the 24v motor in the middle bench)

I can't say enough about how great they are. They aren't kidding when they say they're made for the high-traffic areas. Walking on the 1323 the thing doesn't flex. I have to wait for the aluminum tubing to come in that will sit atop the livewell and form the support for the rear seat mounts - then it's back to sawing, riveting, painting and swearing.

Till then I'm trying to find time to go fishing.

I like that hatch. Wonder how well it would take that Krylon paint for plastic?

I couldn't tell you - I ordered them in white not intending for them to be the same color as everything else.

With my gunmetal grey carpet, I ordered the grey lid. Its not exact but it has a good contrast to it.

The inside of my boat is going to be either dark tan or light brown. Either way, white or grey may clash a bit.

Depending on the size you need they do make an Ivory - that would go with more of an earth tone interior

I read on another forum that a guy used this spraypaint, Krylon Fusion, and it works great on tempress boat hatches. Guess I'll give it a try. I plan on using a tintable truck bed liner on the floor and deck so I may just cover the hatches with that also. Would probably be able to use the Krylon Fusion like a primer for the truck bed liner as it bonds with the plastic.

After doing some research, the 1330 cam or slam hatch is what I'll probably go with. The liner is too small for a livewell for me though so I'll probably use the tank I mentioned before. I need something at least 30 gallons, and would prefer around 40. I will probably cut the top of the tank out to match the hatch, and put a reinforcement strip of aluminum flat strap around the inside of the tank. So the layers will be hatch, deck, silicone, tank lip, aluminum strip. Then use a small stainless bolt/lock nut or aluminum rivet to sandwich it all together.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=360635#p360635 said:
buzzbarto » 23 Jul 2014, 12:49[/url]"]... The liner is too small for a livewell for me though so I'll probably use the tank I mentioned before. I need something at least 30 gallons, and would prefer around 40...

That was my opposition to the liner too - it would work great for bait or even keeping a catch of crappie/perch fresh, but anything bigger than that isn't going to be able to turn around.

With six 15+ inch bass in the livewell 25 or 30 would be bare minimum I'd think. And the pump would probably need to run constantly in warmer weather.

I'm getting ready to paint the hull. Is it really necessary to take it down to bare metal? Over the entire boat? I've done some sanding, and used that aircraft remover stuff in places.The aircraft remover doesn't seem to work too well on this paint. Worked great on the trailer. Can I just use the etching primer on the spots I needed to take to bare metal then lightly sand the paint that is still stuck on really, and I mean really, good?

buzzbarto said:
I'm getting ready to paint the hull. Is it really necessary to take it down to bare metal? Over the entire boat? I've done some sanding, and used that aircraft remover stuff in places.The aircraft remover doesn't seem to work too well on this paint. Worked great on the trailer. Can I just use the etching primer on the spots I needed to take to bare metal then lightly sand the paint that is still stuck on really, and I mean really, good?
No you don't need it down to bare metal,just need to scratch the old paint up basically, What you did is fine and is ready to paint after dust and all that is cleaned up.

Yeah - as long as you don't have any rough edges to the old paint you'll be fine. Be sure to clean it well with something that will get up any oil residue on the old paint.

Got the trailer mostly done. Still need to cover the side bunks and put on the new winch.
IMG_20140812_125529_395.jpg