New guy with an old MonArk 1442

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, on Saturday I drug out the hose and put in the plug. No Leaks!
th_banana-1.gif

Then went to my buddy's shop, put in the new fuel line, rebuilt the carb and did the final assembly....My Johnson Runs Again!
occasion14.gif
th_banana-1.gif

My buddy admitted that he had already written this thing off as a lost cause and he was just humoring me by helping out. :lol: But it ran and sounded pretty good.

Gonna try and shoot some paint on the hull this weekend.
Anyone ever use a Wagner Power Pro for this? I was gonna thin the Parker's paint with ~15% paint thinner per the instructions on the can. I got the wagner sprayer as a gift and the only time I tried to use it, it flung paint all over the place. I cleaned it up, put it back in the box and it's sat there for the past 5 years.

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

Welll...Yesterday morning was a beautiful day down here on the Gulf Coast (finally). I got all setup, started spraying with the Wagner P.O.S....er...Power Pro and after about 30 seconds it was looking real nice and I thought to myself "Man, I'll be done in 10 minutes!". [-X
About that time the thing started belching paint in big blobs. I stopped spraying, checked the nozzle and tested on a scrap piece of wood again. Sprayed fine. Went back to the boat and it sprayed fine for a few seconds then blobs. Fine then blobs. About that time, the sun was getting nice and warm and the paint started drying pretty quick. I decided to chuck the sprayer and go to plan B. At this point the wind whipped up, blowing 25mph out of the West and dumping every last remaining oak leaf from the trees into my freshly painted boat. #-o
The roller was leaving streaks and the blobs had dried so painting over them didn't hide 'em. :x I was getting frustrated and then had to have a chat with myself. "Self," I said " you are just painting a dang jon boat. It ain't the end of the world. You'll have fish slime, scales and mud all over this thing in no time." Good Point, Self. :p =D>

So yeah, the topside looks pretty terrible. I'm planning to wet sand it and try again. Any advice (for or against) on this idea? I don't want to take it down to the primer, just kinda smooth out the uglies.
As always, help and input is appreciated and Thanks for reading.

Cheers,
yak_n_fish

Easy enough, just block sand the lumps and contaminants back to a good fair, then sand everything with the recommended grit for between coats then roll and tip it. You will need to reduce it with a brushing reducer for rolling and tipping. If you are good enough you can just spot paint it, but I never was very good at that, it usually shows. Maybe since you just painted it it will not be so bad.

I am paranoid about painting; I am waiting for 4 days of PERFECT weather to do mine :)

My personal philosophy is that the fish don't care a bit what color or how nice your boat looks. I say leave it as is and get her ready to fish!

Latest posts