New member and boat noob with questions about potential buy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenjack

Reaction score
The wife finally relented and looks like I'm on the hunt for an aluminum boat. I've done a little bit of research and read the tinboat buyers guide. Found a boat I thought would be a good deal compared to the average sales ads I've been reading. The ad reads as follows.

14 ft Alumacraft Jon boat
48 inches wide at the bottom
1998 15hp long shaft electric start mercury with custom made aluminum jack plate
30 lbs thrust Minn Kota trolling motor
Live well in the center seat
And best of all 2 cup holders

Bass boat fishing truck Johnson outboard
Basscat ranger triton tracker

Also comes with the trailer

all for $1500

I know the pictures aren't great, but I'm not sure of the value of the items combined or the Alumacraft brand and was hoping to get a little input. Can't tell if it's flat bottomed or not. Going to see it tomorrow. Is there anything I need to look out for? Owner said he'd demo the engine, and I could test drive it on Friday if I wanted.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You haven't bought it yet?

If it has the V front, then it's the same as mine when I first bought it and should work fine for most fishing. What are you going to do with it?

Gonna take it out on the river and local lakes in the area. Was thinking I might want a v bottom to take on the bay, but realistically I won't be heading that way too often.

Thanks for the input!

The you should be fine. Honestly it will pound while running across chop if there's enough wind to make white caps, but then it's hard to fish that weather so I stay home. Early morning and evening fishing the water calms down a lot and you don't have to contend with the sun and Seadoo kids.