New Member First boat conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunterdude280

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the board, but i have been looking over it for a while and have found many good ideas that I will use on my conversion. For my project I got a 12 ft semi-v hull that was given to me by my neighbor. I am wanting to convert this boat into a duck hunting boat. I plan to camo the sides, and build a front deck. The front deck will mostly be for storage as I want to put hatches in it to put my gear in. I figure the deck will also make it easier for the dogs to get in and out of the boat. As of now, the boat is in great shape except for needing a new transom as the old one has rotted out. My main question though is what to use to make a new transom, as well as if I want to run lights(interior and running lights, as well as maybe some fog lights up front) and also a small bilge pump, what size battery should I be looking at? Any other advice would be much appreciated. I am currently a college student so this will mostly be a weekend project. Sorry for not having pictures of the boat currently but I don't have the camera here.

Thanks a ton

I just replaced the plywood transom on my 12' jon boat. I glued two pieces of 5/8th plywood siding together and cut out the pattern with a cardboard shape. I made it a little bigger than the original so the transom brace was completly mounted to it. I sealed it with Thompson and then painted it with exterior wood primer (overkill?).

On the electrical, Figure out the total amps that you would use continuously. If you use 10 amp and have a 70 amp-hour battery, it would last maybe 7 hours.

Good luck on the mod. Post some pictures and keep us informed.

Latest posts