New to the site - need help starting out with boat.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BOB350RX said:
NOT REALY SURE WHAT PURPOSE THAT PC SERVES REALY THINK I WOULD REMOVE THE CORNER BRACES AND MAKE IT 1 PC, BUT I WOULD HAVE MADE IT ABOUT 14" AND JUST CUT A LIL NOTCH OUTTA IT TO FIT AROUND THAT KNEE BRACE, JUST MY OPINION :D

X2 without the yelling. :mrgreen:

Not sure if it matters or not but the corner brace is spaced out a bit from the back of the boat, and that piece of wood actually fits behind it and the wood goes all the way to the side of it. There's a curled lip and that it fits behind (hope that makes sense, I can photograph it if necessary) Do I still need to remove them? Or just make the transom taller and fit it on the back, and behind the braces?

Hanr3 said:
BOB350RX said:
NOT REALY SURE WHAT PURPOSE THAT PC SERVES REALY THINK I WOULD REMOVE THE CORNER BRACES AND MAKE IT 1 PC, BUT I WOULD HAVE MADE IT ABOUT 14" AND JUST CUT A LIL NOTCH OUTTA IT TO FIT AROUND THAT KNEE BRACE, JUST MY OPINION :D

X2 without the yelling. :mrgreen:
Sorry about the caps ... its a habit when im on here from work, the operating system we use needs all caps, just a bad habit :mrgreen:

I scrapped the old transom for this, should this be a better design? Also, there were only holes drilled in at the top for a 4" piece of wood to run along the top. I'll use those along the top of this piece, how many more should I drill to secure this piece? I'm thinking 4 more towards the bottom of this?

0906111709a.jpg

Thanks for all the help, this site rocks.

there ya go much better :beer: , i would put at least 4 more in it... imho, make sure you seal it up good though

Are there any formulas to determine what size motor I can put on this? I'm guessin 5-6HP. Also, how many people / how much weight can go in the boat? My guess here is 3 people and 500-600lbs.

Thanks.

craiger9er said:
Are there any formulas to determine what size motor I can put on this? I'm guessin 5-6HP. Also, how many people / how much weight can go in the boat? My guess here is 3 people and 500-600lbs.

Thanks.

although i cant give you exacts, but 3 people plus 500-600 lbs seems awful high, my 14' mirrocraft is only rated for 900 lbs people+gear, i wouldnt want to give out some numbers here and not be right esp. considering the circumstances that can arise from being wrong on this... maybe someone on here has a formula or something but i for one have no clue how to figure that

craiger9er said:
Are there any formulas to determine what size motor I can put on this?

Yes, it's based on length and bottom width. You should be right around 6-8 HP (your boat is 12' right) and I'd bet you total weight capacity may be around 450 - 500 lbs.