New Tracker Grizzly 1648 sc

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have taken my boat out several times. I have to say i love it. It is more stable than i thought it would be even with a little chop. my only questions are, is there a reason why i cant raise my motor up a little once i start moving, and is there a way to keep it from porpoising once i get up to speed. I have nothing really up front aside from my life jackets and safety equiptment. I thought about a hydrofoil but i dont know alot about them.

You have power tilt and trim on a 20hp? Thats pretty cool.

If you start out with the motor trimmed all the way down and get up on plane and go to WOT will it porpoise? Or does it start porpoising once you start trimming it up?

My last boat would run fine untill I started trimming her up. I could get another 800rpm and probably another 5-8 mph when I trimmed it up. The only problem was that I had to have someone sitting on the cooler in front of the center console to do it. When it was just me and I tried to trim it up it would just start bouncing like crazy. I put a hydrofoil on it and it solved the porpoising problem at WOT when trimmed up but caused so much drag that it still didnt go any faster. So whats the point right?

It was a 1650 Astro (made by landau) all welded flat bottom Center console with no floor. Just an open alum jon hull with a 40 hp Tohatsu. And a little alum console mounted in the center. Super light! She would haul A$$. Scary fast! Slid in turns when just barely on plane. When you went to WOT from a stop it would almost jump the whole boat out of the water then start going fwd. I think it was probably just overpowered and the hull was just not designed to go that fast..Hydrodynamics and all...Smart people stuff that I don't know about. My thinking is that the bigger the motor the faster you go. I have been told this is not the case though. With that said 20hp is no where near over powered for your boat. I think the max recommended is 50hp for the tracker 1648. So thats not your problem..

I ended up removing the hydrofoil and moving the 2 batteries to the front (and the anchor) Once I did that it helped out a lot. I could trim it up with just me or with another sitting on the bench behind the Center console and it did just fine. I could trim it up all the way to the point of cavitation without it porpoising.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of how the batteries were mounted on my boat but this is pretty much how I did it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNw8WVM_obA&feature=related Mine didn't have a floor so I just set them in between the ribs on either side of the opening on the front deck. you would have to mount them somehow.

Its not my video but this guy did one heck of a mod to a 1448.

you could fill a cooler with water and just put it up front to see if some weight will fix your problem. Or have a friend sit up front and see what happens. If it fixes your problem try moving some weight fwd.

I would move weight as well. Like reedjj said try batterys and then if it all fails put water, a friend, or sand. Weight is everything.

And the grizzlys are rated for 50hp with a remote and 40hp with a tiller.

I just put a 40hp electric start tiller on my 1648 and it should fly. Atleast thats the plane. Its completely open hull nothing in it and the back seats are split not all one piece.

Reedjj do you have pictures of this old boat? What do you think you were running on it?

Im going to have bassboy I think start welding stuff up and am not contemplating putting in grab bars in the back

are you suppose to be able to tilt the motor while the throttle is forward. i found that i have to bring it almost back to neutral to get it to move.

You can trim it up and down when its in foward. You should not need to bring it down to neutral. That sounds like your trim and tilt motor is weak or doesnt have enough torque to bring the motor up when in motion

fish2keel said:
I would move weight as well. Like reedjj said try batterys and then if it all fails put water, a friend, or sand. Weight is everything.

And the grizzlys are rated for 50hp with a remote and 40hp with a tiller.

I just put a 40hp electric start tiller on my 1648 and it should fly. Atleast thats the plane. Its completely open hull nothing in it and the back seats are split not all one piece.

Reedjj do you have pictures of this old boat? What do you think you were running on it?

Im going to have bassboy I think start welding stuff up and am not contemplating putting in grab bars in the back

I wish I had some pics of that boat..I will check around in some old photo albums tonite for some. I sold it in 2000 to my uncle who took it to the everglades used it for a while and sold it again. That thing would fly! It was before GPS and it didn't have a speedometer. It would keep up with a 1996 seadoo SPX with my 300lb friend on it, and me in my boat. Im guessing it was close to 50mph. It probably wasn't that fast but it sure felt fast. People were afraid to knee board behind it LOL... I always regretted selling it.

I just bought a Minn kota powerdrive v2 and a huge battery to put up front. Maybee that will help. Also I got a deal on a junior hydrofoil. So I guess ill see how it goes.

mikemeade136 said:
I just bought a Minn kota powerdrive v2 and a huge battery to put up front. Maybee that will help. Also I got a deal on a junior hydrofoil. So I guess ill see how it goes.

Try the weight up forward and adj of your trim (usually needs to go further in to reduce porposing).

I'd leave the hydrofoil off. They are mainly to help plane boats, and smart tabs are better at that, anyway. If they fix porposing, it is from the increased drag.

Do not put that hydrofoil on untill you try a few other things and exhaust all your other options first. Nothing worse than drilling holes in a brand new motor for no reason.

I just assumed that you were asking about the trimming of the motor because it started bouncing/porpoising when you trimmed it up once on plane. It never occurred to me that it actually wouldn't move when you tried to trim it up.

Can you trim it up and down when just sitting there? Some motors have a lever that can lock them im place. Or act as a rest to take pressure off the hyd cylinder when not in use....... Check yours to see if it is somehow locked in position.

If you have power tilt and trim you should be able to trim it up and down whenever you want. Neutral, Idle, WOT, even reverse!

I know there is nothing physically stopping the motor from moving. It works fine when the throttle is around neutral. I think the problem may be that the trim motor is too weak the lift it while the boat is being powered forward.

I also have a grizzly 1648 sc. Mine has a 50 hp jet on it, so it ends up being paired with around a 35 hp. My boat jumps on plane and runs very good. Just me and it flies. 2 people works fine. 3 is pushing it. and 4 means it won't get on plane. I will add some pics of it later to give you an idea of what mine looks like. About the trim, I have found that with my motor, along with others, wont trim all the way up when I am running above 1/2 throttle. THis is not a problem, it was made to do that. It is sort of an emergency system so your motor doesn't lift out of the water while I am running. But it will adjust a minimal amount, mostly so you can trim up a smidge when you initial get it up on plane. Its a great boat, and I have hit hundreds of rocks, but no holes yet and its running fine.

Congrats on the new boat, looks great. You might want to check your owners manual as your motor may have power tilt but not power trim. I have seen that on a lot of brands in that HP range.

I decided 50 dollars and a few holes was worth being able ride comfortably in the seats. I must say I made the right descision. I was out on the lake today, the waves were just starting to white cap. The boat was more stable today than when it was calm. My top speed was only 25 but that's fine for me and the wife. It feels faster than it was before but I didn't check it before. It gets right up on plane then I throttle down real quick, raise the motor and I'm on my way. The only problem I still have is water splashing up into the rear of the boat. It seems like the water is riding up the front of the motor. This was happening before if I had the motor tilted down. I have heard people say that the grizzly boats have the motor set too low. So that may be the problem.